Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Transfer time between int'l arrival in Zurich and train departure? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/transfer-time-between-intl-arrival-in-zurich-and-train-departure-1015314/)

lynnalan May 25th, 2014 11:06 AM

Transfer time between int'l arrival in Zurich and train departure?

My husband will be arriving in Zurich this summer (from the US) and then we will be traveling to Chateau d'Oex. I will be taking the train from Paris and hoping to meet him along the way (probably Montreux) so that we can enjoy some of the journey together. I have never been in the Zurich airport and wondering about how much time we should allow for him to clear immigration and get to the rail station?

greg May 25th, 2014 11:42 AM

Probably less than 1hr.
However, your question has many variables and it is also possible you are looking for something else.

Variables directly related to the question:
- flying business class or economy sitting at the back?
- carry-on only or with checked luggage?
- clearing immigration (passport control) depends on how many othet planes land at the same time.
- directly from the U.S. or layover in another Schengen country?
- time it takes to buy train ticket or pass validated
- Is your question still relevant if the plane is late?

Guess about what you might be looking for.
- Train runs about twice an hour with change in Lausanne and reservation not needed. Do you still need to know how long it takes to the station? Why not have him text/call you when he us on the train. From www.sbb.ch, you know when he will be at Montreux provided he did not miss the change at Lausanne.
- Geneve airport to Montreux us 72 min vs. about 3hrs from Zurich.
- You can also meet in Lausanne.
- Paris to Montreux is 4.5hrs by train. Some right connections from Paris can get you to the Zurich airport in 4.5hrs=same time. E.g. 7:11, 10:19 TGV to Zurich HB. See www.bahn.com

WeisserTee May 25th, 2014 11:49 AM

It's usually quite smooth -- immigration, including that walk from the plane to passport control and then getting his luggage, etc -- maybe half an hour total if he gets off the plane ahead of the mob.

The train station is in the airport. There are direct trains from the airport to Lausanne, so that might be a better meeting spot. The train from Zurich airport to Lausanne takes roughly 2.5 hours. From there you can travel together to Montreux and on toe Chateau D'Oex.

FYI, if it's a hot spell while you're in Chateau D'Oex, take advantage of their gorgeous outdoor swimming pool. A refreshing way to beat the heat and the scenery around you is pretty cool too.
http://www.chateau-doex.ch/fr/4saiso...cine_printemps

lynnalan May 25th, 2014 01:29 PM

Thanks WeisserTee and greg that is very helpful. Here is one additional question - we will be traveling during the Montreux Jazz Festival and wondering if the trains will be mobbed (will we need reservations?)

And yes WeisserTee - we are hoping to make use of that beautiful pool in Chateau D'Oex!

Dukey1 May 25th, 2014 01:59 PM

As a general rule, notice I said "general," you cannot even make reservations on many trains which travel wholly within Switzerland (re your question about traveling to Montreux and the festival being ongoing).

What time does your husband arrive in Zurich? I am sure somebody will pop up and tell me what I am about to say is insane but you could be IN Zurich by 11:00 AM, or so, from Paris...is he wiling to wait for you?

Otherwise I agree with the possibility of you taking a TGV service to Lausanne and him meeting you there.

lynnalan May 25th, 2014 02:19 PM

Thanks Dukey1- he arrives around 8:45. I think he will want to head out before 11 (assuming on time arrival). It sounds like Lausanne might be the best spot to connect.

neckervd May 26th, 2014 03:01 AM

Trains Zurich airport - Chateau d'Oex:
either via Berne - Spiez or via Berne - Bulle (3 1/2 hrs journey)

Trains Paris - Chateau d'Oex:
via Geneva - Montreux
or
via Vallorbe - Montreux
or
via Basle - Berne - Bulle

A meeting along the itinerary (at Olten or Berne) makes only sense if your husband travels via Basle

Journey time 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hrs