Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transfer in Madrid Airport - Is an Hour and 15 minutes enough?

Dec 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I found a great flight from Chicago to Rome with a layover in Madrid on Iberian Airlines that was about a hundred dollars cheaper than the cheapest flights I have found previously. However, the layerover time in Madrid before I connect to the flight in Rome is an hour and 15 minutes. This kind of terrifies me. I've never been to Madrid (nor have I flown Iberian). Is this doable?

Thanks!
Tracy
Dec 21st, 2005, 08:30 AM

I guess you mean flights

IB 6274 from Chicago arriving in MAD at 07:45 and then connecting flight IB 3612 at 09:00 to Rome

Well, as long as your whole itinerary is sold and operated by the same airline (Iberia) or with a different airline but within the same ticket you do not have to worry too much for the transit time. This means that in case of incoming delay in Madrid Iberia will rebook you onto the next available flight. After 09:00 IB flies to FCO at 11:55, then 16:20 and 19:40.

Take the benefit of the low rate and have anice trip to wonderful Rome !!

Dec 21st, 2005, 10:59 AM

Since MAD is your arrival point in the EU, you may have to go through passport control, claim your luggage and recheck it and then be re-screened for the connecting flight to Rome. If you donít need to be re-screened, then there isnít any problem. You should check with the airline to see what will be required.
Dec 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM

Madrid Barajas is relatively small as major airports go, but the connection from a flight inbound to the U.S. outbound to an E.U. destination might require a terminal change. But again, it's a relatively compact airport, so it should be fine.
Dec 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM

No no no! It's not enough connecting time at all! I'm a travel wholesaler for Iberia, mostly JFK-MAD-LIS and the connections are murder. The Madrid airport is huge (they have those moving walkways) and international flights will definitely have to change terminals. Once you finally reach the passport control you are slammed with a huge pile of people lined up without regard for who has an immediate connecting flight. Don't count on the airline to care if you don't show up at the gate on time. They will tell you that they have no control over immigration checkpoints. And those domestic flights are usually on small planes & don't have a lot of extra seats to accommodate you on a later flight. Even if you do make it, the odds are against you that your bags will be on the same flight as you. Best bet: book Iberia but choose the later connection & save yourself a lot of aggravation & worrying if you will make it on time. Good luck. Hope this helps...
Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:51 AM

I have to agree with lol930: Barajas airport is NOT very Passenger-friendly. When you deplane, there should be an Iberia Pax Services representative at the gate. ASK FOR ASSISTANCE!

Once we were connecting to Malaga on Iberia and had checked our luggage thru: Iberia Pax services took us and a few others past a small Passport Control checkpoint - they told us we would go thru Customs in Malaga but when we got there, passengers didn't have to clear customs. It was a domestic flight (i.e., from Madrid).

More recently I barely made a connection to Santiago de Compostela: I had 3-hours; my Continental flight was 1-hour late; then there was Passport Control (even though I have an EU Passport) & Customs and a 'hike' to Terminal #3 for my Santiago flight (which was 'held' about 15-min for me)

Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind help. I really do appreciate it. We ended up going with a slightly more expensive flight but it has a two hour layover in Brussels on the way over, which I am much happier with. I hate missing any flights, obviously, but I would much rather miss a flight on my way home than on my way to my vacation!

Thanks again!
Tracy