Reload this Page >

Honeymoon departing Manchester

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 04:56 PM
karen

Hi: Arriving in Manchester June 11,2000 to attend cousins wedding end of June. This will be a honeymoon trip having been married in Canada on June 10,2000. Only have seen London area so are open to any and all suggestions. Would like to be able to stay two or three nights in an area to sightsee without having to pack and unpack everyday. Are open to going to Wales or Scotland whichever would have the best opportunities to see castles and the rugged countryside. Would have 7-10 days to explore before the wedding. Any suggestions appreciated.Thanks

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 05:34 PM
pat

I would recommend north wales for your honeymoon trip, because it is easy to depart from Manchester to that area, beautiful landscapes like the highland of Scotland. You can climb up the snowdon and enjoy the castles there. Shouldn't miss the Caernarvon castle where Prince Charles became the Prince of Wales and also Conwy castle. Public transport is ok, but if you have a car that is much better. <BR>Have a good time there in Cymru.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 05:49 AM
Maira

Manchester is very modern-looking; more like a typical american city, malls and everything. So, I would recommend you hit the road upon arrival. The north Wales idea sounds very good. We actually drove from Edinburgh to the Lakes Distric-Hadrian's Wall Area and departed from Manchester. We loved this route. So much to see; so little time. Have fun planning!

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Sheila

<BR>Hi! Congratulations on your impending nuptuals. <BR> <BR>No doubt te Lake District, the Penines and North Wales are beautiful, but they are pale shadow of the real thing. We do Castles and rugged very well, here in Scotland. <BR> <BR>And you can do a lot of it by train. If you would like I can e-mail a couple of draft itineraries? <BR> <BR>Let me know

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 12:36 PM
Mary

Hello, have you considered the heart of England. If you stay in a pretty central location you can reach loads of worhtwhile places. Where we live for example you have Shakespeares Stratford 20 minutes away, Regency Cheltenham 15 minutes, the gorgeous Cotswolds 10 minutes away with with the famous Cotswold Way and Wychavon Way walks almost on your doorstep. E mail me for a good place to stay.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Karen

Thanks Mary and others for your imput. Will be centred out of Yorke where the wedding will take place. Have accomodations there for a few days before and after the wedding. But are hoping for two or three places to go for two or three nights each. Romantic would be great. Flying into Manchester but do not have to spend time there if it would be better spent elsewhere.Thanks

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Roger

You might want to consider Chester. It is near the Wales border and you can take the train or drive to many interesting sites. Did this two years ago and only wished that we had spent more time in this area. Be sure to visit all of the sights in York. It is truly a great tourist city.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 11:46 AM
Martin Hafer

I'd recommend Wales for several reasons: First, it's closer to Manchester--to see the ruggesd parts of Scotland, you'd have to drive quite a ways; Second, it's not very touristy and perfect for Honeymooners who want quiet beauty; Third, you won't find more castles in such a concentrated location as North Wales; Fourth, the Welsh people we met were extremely friendly (though nearly everyone throughout Britain was friendly). One word of advice about hotels. My wife and I stayed at Ruithin Castle in N. Wales and were NOT impressed. The townspeople were so nice, but the hotel staff were NOT. When we asked about the history of the castle, they said they didn't want to be bothered and we should buy the guidebook! At the prices we paid to stay there, I became rather miffed. Also, the actual old castle is a ruins next door. The hotel is more of a manor home which has little of the look or feel of a castle.

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Nigel Doran

If you are staying in York, you have plenty to see within 100 miles or so. <BR>You can go to Harrogate one day, a charming spa town a few miles from York. <BR>You might like to go to Whitby as well, which is the place from which James Cook left on his sea missions. You can also visit the Yorkshire Dales, Howarth (home of the Brontes) and that's before you cross the Pennines and see the Lake District. <BR>From York, Edinburgh is only a shortish train ride away, making a day trip feasible. Durham is a lovely cathedral town on the same rail line on the way up from York to Scotland. <BR>If you are using the rail system, look at www.thetrainline.com for ticket booking and prices. I don't think you can prebook before 8 weeks for rail tickets, but you can at least get an idea. Remember, return journeys are always cheaper than 2 singles, but booking ahead could make those single journeys cheaper. Also, travelling on any day except Friday makes it cheaper as does travelling after certain times (usually 9 30 am). Public transport can be expensive if these rules are not applied. Message me if you need more details.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 05:34 PM
karen

I appreciate all the ideas. There is alot of information out there in book form but this forum is the greatest for tried and true suggestions. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.