Trajan's Market in Rome

Search

Trajan's Market in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trajan's Market in Rome

I am very interested in seeing Trajan's Market in Rome, but don't see many references to it on these message boards. Do you have to pay for entry? Are there scheduled public or private tours? Where does one enter the place? We will be in Rome the first week in June 2008 and wonder if it will be easily accessible and less crowded than other places.

Thanks,
Charnee
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM

Charness,

It's basically just across from the Forum on Via Imperiale (SP?). Ive seen tours walking through and there is a ticket office there in a visitor's center. You can see it just by looking, but you can't go inside the gates without a tour.

When I was there, a stage was set up for an outdoor concert. Modern uses!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM

It's been several years since I was in Trajan's Market but at that time it was free. I think my husband and I had the entire market to ourselves that morning. It is never crowded. I have never seen or heard of a tour of the market although if you go on a tour of Ancient Rome through a company like Context Rome, I would think that they might accomodate your interest in it and include it on the tour as the groups are pretty small. Certainly they would arrange a private tour if you so desired. But there really isn't all that much to see. It is like a shopping mall on several floors with large niches or stalls that held a merchant. There were some mosaics on the floors and walls but not many. You could get a good guide book like Masson's Companion Guide to Rome and see it yourself. The entrance is on Via IV Novembre.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM

According to the Rome Tourism Site (http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/allasco...musei08.html):

"Please note: the Markets of Trajan are temporarily closed. It is however possible to visit the Trajan's Forum and the big semicircular building at the reduced price of Euro 3,20. Entrance from the Column of Trajan."

Paul
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the information. It does not sound as interesting as I had found it in "City Secrets: Rome" -- so I don't know whether to go there or not. We will only be in Rome for 4 days, although we have been there briefly a couple of times already.

Charnee
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM

If you only have 4 days, I would skip it this time and wait for the reopening. We visited in Jan. and besides the open area that you could see as you look below from Via dei Fori Imperiali, the only indoor place is the second floor of the semicircular building. It has some dark and empty rooms and a lovely view towards the Foro Romano.
Visit the Baths of Caracalla instead.