Trains; what happens if?

Jun 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Trains; what happens if?

I am taking a few trains between London and Edinburgh, etc., this fall and would like to save a few pounds by getting them in advance. If I am travelling from Edinburgh back to London, arriving at 0700, and catching a train at 0830 for the Cotswolds. What happens if I can't make my Cotswolds connection? Do I lose the money spent on that ticket?
Jun 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Depends on the ticket. Many low cost ones are train specific while others are day specific. It should state so when you go online to purchase. I use National Rail.
Jun 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Well -- the odds are GREATLY in your favor that you'd make the connection. Euston (assuming you are talking about the sleeper from Edinburgh to London) to Paddington station doesn't take that long. You'd take a bus or walk to Euston Square to catch the tube.

But hypothetically - yes - if you get a discounted/inflexible ticket and miss the train, you would have to buy a new ticket.
Jun 14th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Hi Uk2011,
I had this concern about missing a connection. The cheapest tickets are non-refundable, but if you're buying in advance, sometimes it's cheaper to buy two tickets - one hopeful, early departure, one safe, later departure. Worth investigating.
Are you using the traveline site to help you plan? (And link to the sites to buy?)
http://traveline.info/
Have fun!

Search this Thread