Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   trains: luggage capacity (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trains-luggage-capacity-601243/)

ItalyLove Mar 21st, 2006 04:02 PM

trains: luggage capacity

Hi
How big is the space inside Italy's trains for your luggage? (I mean the space in the place where you seat)
I don't want to check in my luggage (like in planes). In Spain I got robbed because I wasn't travelling with my luggage and I had to check it in :(
Thanks

suze Mar 21st, 2006 04:07 PM

I didn't think you could check luggage on trains, I though you had to carry it on yourself.

Is Spain different?

nancy Mar 21st, 2006 04:13 PM

First, make a seat reservation so that you can put your luggage overhead. Otherwise, you may be sitting in aisle seats (unless you have to stand) with your luggage in the entryway and no good way to watch them. Getting a seat without a reservation is the luck of the draw.

nancy Mar 21st, 2006 04:15 PM

Sorry, forgot to speak on the space available. I would suggest one bag above as there are 6 people to a compartment. Other bags would have to be between your legs on the floor or on your lap.

moldyhotelsaregross Mar 21st, 2006 04:57 PM

http://www.pac-safe.com/product.aspx?pId=654

I don't own this brand, but a retractable cable may give you some piece of mind if you must leave your luggage out of eyesight.

kadurk49 Mar 21st, 2006 05:37 PM

We had alot of luggage last time we took the train from Milan to Florence. We had some overhead and some at the end of our car. When the train was coming in for stops someone in our party got up and stood by it until the doors closed again. We were lst class on the trip down and 2nd on the return and had no trouble.

rkkwan Mar 21st, 2006 05:39 PM

ES* and Cisalpino trains in Italy have &quot;lounge&quot; like seating of 4 people facing each other. Therefore, there's a pretty large space <b>behind</b> your seat. I didn't try it, but I think it will fit a 26&quot; suitcase.

That, and the overhead.

JeanneB Mar 21st, 2006 05:44 PM

A 22&quot; will fit behind the seat (in 1st class), but I think a 26&quot; might be pushing it. There were also bins overhead as well as the storage racks at each end of the car.

I think it also depends on when you're travelling. Trains weren't crowded when we travelled mid-week.

suze Mar 22nd, 2006 06:43 AM

Can you really check luggage on trains in Spain?

aggiegirl Mar 22nd, 2006 06:56 AM

Would a 25 inch fit in the overhead bin or is that space like an airplane overhead bin?

Intrepid1 Mar 22nd, 2006 07:00 AM

On a lot of trains there is more of an overhead <b>rack</b> rather than an overhead bin similar to those on airplanes.

Storage capacity depends on the configuration of the equipment; sometimes there are racks at the end of the cars as well as overhead racks, storage space under seats and behind seats.

I've stored HUGE duffel bags as well as luggage in avrious places on trains...I think you can find a place for a 26&quot; case and if you are at all concerned about the possibility of theft the locking bicycle cable would serve you well.

Dayle Mar 22nd, 2006 07:01 AM

I would not try to put a 26&quot; in the overhead rack. It's not that deep. The key question is can you lift a loaded 26&quot; suitcase up there? I couldn't.

rkkwan Mar 22nd, 2006 07:13 AM

The racks are very high. It'd be dangerous to put anything larger than a 20-21&quot; up there. They may fall, and you will have trouble getting them up there in the first place.

aggiegirl Mar 22nd, 2006 08:23 AM

I could definitely lift it (I've been working out and I'm tall enough), but the issue of the depth of the rack will send me to the regular luggage hold. I may do the bike lock thing. I only fear the lock will jam and I won't be able to get my bag off, ha, ha.

suze Mar 22nd, 2006 09:48 AM

Most people leave their suitcases in the luggage racks at the end of each car (if it doesn't fit about their seat) and do not use cable locks.

RufusTFirefly Mar 22nd, 2006 11:16 AM

Don't know about Italian trains, but Mrs. Fly was able to get her 27&quot; suitcase between back-to-back seats on German trains.

Neopolitan Mar 22nd, 2006 12:09 PM

I used to always take a combination cable lock to secure my luggage at the end of train cars, but I just stopped doing so as it seemed so silly. I no longer take the locks.

LoveItaly Mar 22nd, 2006 12:12 PM

If you can get by with a 22inch suitcase it will be easier for you ItalyLove.

RufusTFirefly Mar 22nd, 2006 12:47 PM

Even easier if you take no suitcase at all. Don't take anything that you can't stuff into your pockets! (I would put a smiley here, but I can never remember how.)

ItalyLove Mar 22nd, 2006 03:06 PM

Suze
I got robbed in a bus in Spain, from the luggage storage place.