Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trains in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trains-in-scotland-45601/)

Kittie Jun 2nd, 1999 05:19 PM

Trains in Scotland

Hello, <BR>My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Scotland in October 1999. We will be staying in the small town of Kinloch Rannoch. We would like to take a train from Glasgow to Perth or Pitlochry. <BR>As this is my first experience with trains, I have a question: <BR>If we have two suitcases each, do they take (check) the luggage or do we have to bring it with us onto the train and try to find overhead space? In other words, are the trains set up for vacationers with luggage? <BR>Thanks! <BR>Kittie

Wendy Jun 2nd, 1999 05:55 PM

Even when traveling first class on Britrail, we carried our own luggage onto the train.I don't believe checking luggage is an option. There were luggage areas near the ends of the cars and we made a point of sitting within eyesight of that storage area.No problems ever, a very pleasant way to travel. My one side comment would be to encourage you to follow the wise advice I received from this forum and PACK LIGHT. One 21" suitcase and a shoulder bag per person was plenty for our 3 week trip.(Our kids actually shared one 21" bag.) As we traveled on planes, trains, cabs, and a car, I was very thankful to have manageable luggage. If you must have 2 suitcases be sure you can carry them both yourself. Have a great trip.

David Jun 2nd, 1999 05:57 PM

We are really trying to get Tony back!! <BR> <BR>Sorry Kittie...I can't answer this one but I did answer your post on the Australian forum....it sounds like a great trip you guys have got planned...is there anywhere you're not going. <BR>Regards <BR>David

Sheila Jun 3rd, 1999 05:03 AM

<BR>In Tony's absence the answer is exactly as stated two posts above. We have different types of trains nowadays. "Proper" trains have the system Wendy talks about. <BR> <BR>Toy trains don't have the racks at the end of the carriage. Many trains have the seat backs established so that there is storage below them. <BR> <BR>It should not be a problem whichever way you do it.

Kittie Jun 4th, 1999 07:31 AM

Hello, <BR>Thanks for the information! It sure did make me feel better about taking a train. <BR>David, I live to travel. I live in a small house, drive an old car, and put all my extra money into vacations. That's one reason why I try to plan so far in advance...so I can save up the money. <BR>I'll check out your post on the Australia page...thanks! <BR>Kittie

David Jun 4th, 1999 02:47 PM

Good on you Kittie....keep those questions coming on the Aus forum...we'll do our best to answer them

Kittie Jun 9th, 1999 05:41 PM

Thanks David, <BR>I have alot of questions and I will post soon...be prepared&lt;g&gt;! <BR>

Virginia Jun 10th, 1999 05:55 AM

In response to the train question I believe it was answered very well by the first respondant. Brit Rail is a great way to travel. You do need to carry on your own luggage but there is plenty of space at the start of each car. Trains are clean & comfortable and on time. Enjoy. <BR> <BR>Virginia

Kittie Jun 10th, 1999 06:43 PM

Virginia, <BR>Thanks for the info. I feel much better when a few people agree on the same advice. That means that it is definitely for real rather than an opinion. <BR>Thanks again. <BR>Kittie

Kittie Jun 10th, 1999 06:43 PM

Virginia, <BR>Thanks for the info. I feel much better when a few people agree on the same advice. That means that it is definitely for real rather than an opinion. <BR>Thanks again. <BR>Kittie

Lee Jun 11th, 1999 07:32 AM

We just returned from Scotland last week and traveled a very similar route by train : Edinburgh to Inverness (via Perth) and Inverness to Glasgow... <BR>We did have to haul our luggage aboard but the luggage racks are right next to <BR>the door. <BR>One word of advice....EVERY train departed exactly on time so don't be even a minute late because you'll be left behind ! <BR>The scenery between Edinburgh and Inverness through Perth and Pitlochry <BR>was gorgeous ! Beautiful mountains, forests, rivers,etc...

UP Jun 11th, 1999 11:40 AM

^^

Kittie Jun 15th, 1999 05:12 PM

Lee, <BR>Thanks for the info. <BR>We plan on travelling with one large suitcase each and a smaller one ( so three in all). This should be o.k. to get into the luggage racks. <BR>I'll have to keep my boyfriend on time since he tends to run late and I tend to run early &lt;g&gt;. <BR>

frank Jun 17th, 1999 07:44 AM

a much more scenic route by train is <BR>Glasgow to Rannoch Station - this is <BR>way up in the mountains,a bit harder <BR>to get to Kinloch Rannoch(though it's <BR>nearer!)I know that a minibus (the post <BR>bus) meets the first train of the day. <BR>This rail route is off road & wipes out <BR>the other route for scenery,spectacular.

Sheila Jun 17th, 1999 01:29 PM

All true except I'm still less than sanguine about ones ability to ge from Rannoch Station to Kinloch Rannoch itout a car.

Karen O. Jun 18th, 1999 03:14 PM

My husband and I are going to Scotland too, this August, and will be taking the train alot while we are there. We will be taking backpacks instead of luggage and would prefer to keep them with us if possible. They're not very big, for backpacks, and will only have about 20 pounds or so of stuff in each of them. Are you allowed to do that? Is there any overhead storage or enough room under seats for that?

Sheila Jun 19th, 1999 12:27 AM

In "old-fashioned" trains which you now only find on the Intercity routes there may be overhead storgae. There is a space underneath and between the seat backs for luggage which would take packs the size you talk about- if you get there first. <BR> <BR>But the train compartments are not all that big, and you will be no distance from the racks at the end. You should not lose sleep over this issue