Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   trains in england- on time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trains-in-england-on-time-543552/)

emjoy Jul 12th, 2005 08:01 AM

trains in england- on time?

It's been a few years since I took a train farther than 20 miles outside of London, but I'm planning on taking a train trip on a saturday for a premiership game. I can get the cheapest rates if I book a specific train and seat on the London to Manchester route- but I'm wondering how much time I should allow for delay on the trains.
It's about 2 hours and 40 minutes I think of travel time, but I don't know how reliable the train system in England is.
any advice?
thanks

Kate Jul 12th, 2005 08:19 AM

Trains are a bit like our weather. Can be good, can be dodgy.

If I were you, I would plan to get there early. If the game starts at 3, why not get there for 1pm, giving you plenty of time to have some lunch, go to the club shop, have a few pints in a pub near the ground (a traditional pursuit). This way, if you are delayed, you won't be in a sweat about it.

PalQ Jul 12th, 2005 08:34 AM

Not only are trains liable to be late (some lines boast of 70-80% on time stats!) but trains can also be cancelled (no driver available, staff shortage are often the reasons given over PA) so what's this do with your cheapest ticket? (This happened to someone in Fodors post not long ago.) I'd book a train with a lot of leeway time. UK trains are slowly getting better but the system is still suffering from years of neglect and problems do pop up. OK for casual tourist because due to the sheer number of trains you'll get there but not if you must be somewhere at a certain time. I've ridden UK trains yearly for over 30 years - and many times i've gotten to the station to say catch the 10:10 only to find the 8:38 rolling into the station!

brookwood Jul 12th, 2005 08:43 AM

In my somewhat limited experience with British trains, the trains are usually late. The line from Euston Station to Glacow runs late frequently. Two weeks ago we went as far as Oxenholm on the Glascow route, and we were late both ways.

One young man was having a frustrating time of it because his connections to Oxford were way out of whack.

I would say don't plan anything where timeliness is vital.

emjoy Jul 12th, 2005 08:54 AM

thanks for the replies.
I've got three choices of trains, one that would get me there an hour early (just in case I suppose), one that would get me there 2 hours early, or one that gets me there 3 1/2 hours early. I guess I can just go for the 3 1/2 hours early and be sure to get there on time. Plenty to explore locally I'm sure.

thanks for all your advice.

flanneruk Jul 12th, 2005 08:54 AM

Assume the worst and hope for the best. The early Saturday trains to Liverpool and Manchester are always full of southern-based fans, and it's rare that they actually miss the match.

I'm getting 3 hours returned for this journey on most Saturday morning dates this autumn (though it's now only 130 mins on weekdays). Allow at least two hours' leeway, and with luck you'll be able to use that time for some serious pre-match activity in the boozer.

emjoy Jul 12th, 2005 10:41 AM

thanks flanneruk- I intend to partake in all the rituals and am researching boozers as we speak.
cheers for the info

PalQ Jul 12th, 2005 10:49 AM

If you're ever in Amsterdam on the day of a big United match go to the Cafe Flying Dutchman (a smokey pub patronized mainly by Brits, especially Manchurians) by the train station. Owned by a bloke from Manchester and full of United fans and matches on tube.

Roger Jul 12th, 2005 10:55 AM

Just where is Glascow? Near to Glasgow? :)

jahoulih Jul 12th, 2005 12:28 PM

And what Manchurians would those be? Do you mean Mancunians, or is there a Manchurian candidate among the Manchester fans?

PalQ Jul 12th, 2005 12:46 PM

I suspected when i said that that it may not quite be correct. Sorry. Is it Mancunians?

jahoulih Jul 12th, 2005 12:51 PM

I think it's Mancunians. Sorry to be the spelling police! :)

willit Jul 12th, 2005 02:58 PM

Is the game close to the beginning of the season ? One of the main problems for football fans travelling to away matches is that the dates and times change, often at quite short notice, to accomodate television coverage. At least twice last year, I lost money on train tickets because of a switch in time or day for a game.

emjoy Jul 14th, 2005 10:07 AM

they already altered the time for the SKY showing, so I'll hope there's no way they can start any earlier than 12:45am...could they? who would be there?! Anyway, I'll plan to be in town 2-3 hours early for it anyway.
thanks