Trains from Seville to Barcelona

Mar 11th, 2000, 05:37 PM
Linda

Trains from Seville to Barcelona

Does anyone know if there is a direct overnight train from Seville to Barcelona?

If anyone has stayed at any of the following hotels, please let me know what you thought.

1) Hosteria del Laurel
2) Murillo
3) Las Casas de la Juderia

Thank you

Mar 11th, 2000, 06:58 PM
Maribel

Linda,
There is a Talgo train-hotel that leaves Seville at 9:10 p.m. arriving in Barcelona at 8:30 a.m. with "preferente" (first class) sleeping compartments.
See the schedule-prices at www.renfe.es

If you'll do a text search for your 3 hotels, there have been numerous posts lately about them, particularly the "Casas de la Juderia", the nicest of the three and one of the Fodorites' favorites, located in the atmospheric Santa Cruz quarter of Seville. The Murillo would be my last choice-a bit tired looking and in need of renovation.
You can read about all of them at www.sol.com, Seville's web site.
Also check www.karenbrown.com for her endorsement and write-up of the Casas de la Juderia. Her lodging choices in Spain are distinctive and full of charm.
She also recommends the sister hotels, Las Casas de los Mercaderes and Las Casas del Rey de Baeza (the latter considerably more expensive than the 3 you have listed).

Mar 13th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Ross

Hi Linda.

I just purchased an air-line ticket on Iberia from Seville to Barcelona. It cost $160US, one-way. It's only an 1 1/2 flight. This would save you a tremendous amount of time, if you don't mind flying.

Ross.

Mar 13th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Linda

Maribel, you are amazing. A fountain of information. Many thanks.

Ross, thank you for the suggestion, but I'm taking (and paying for) my son and trying to stay within a budget. Believe me, if I were traveling with a friend, flying would be my 1st choice!!!
What are your thoughts/suggestions for hotels in Seville?

Linda

Mar 14th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Ross

Hi Linda.

I chose La Rabida in Seville. You can check out their website to view photos of the hotel. It's a 2 star hotel with air-conditioning that's gotten favorable reviews on the Fodor forum. Do a search on Yahoo under Seville Hotels for others as well.

Ross.

Mar 14th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Colleen

Your question about an overnight train from Sevilla to Barcelona solved my problem! We had hoped to travel overnight to Barcelona from Granada, but surprisingly, that train doesn't have 2 person sleepers - only group, and I'm not interested in a slumber party. I'd almost resigned myself to trying to sleep in my seat. But now we might make adjustments so we travel from Sevilla, instead. But I'm having a little difficulty figuring out Renfe's charges. Maribel, maybe you can help: Would two people pay two Preferente ticket prices, plus TWO sleeper supplements of approximately 10,000pst? That can get pricey. And what is the difference in sleepers in Grand Classe (I think that's what it's called) and Preferente? Thanks for everyone's help. Enjoy your trip, Linda.

Mar 14th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Jen

Check out the travelocity web site. I got a one way ticket from barcelona to Seville for $62 on Air Europa. They are based in Spain. Also could check Spanair for their flights. Both airlines are cheaper thn Iberian.

Mar 14th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Maribel

Colleen,
I'm confused too about the pricing on RENFE's page. Seems that the "Preferente" double cabin costs 14,700 pts. on the "Antonio Machado" Seville-Barcelona train (and that means for whole cabin not per person) and a "Gran Clase" double cabin would cost 20,400 pts., but it also says that each person occupying a "preferente" cabin needs to purchase a "turista" SEAT, (not a couchette) and that may be 3,200 pts per person-I'm not sure-maybe more. It also appears to say that each person occupying a "gran clase" cabin needs to purchase a "preferente" SEAT, which seems to be an additional 10,700 per person-ouch! So the grand total for two in a "preferente" cabin would be 21,100 pts., (maybe...)and the "gran clase" cabin would be 41,800 pts.??
I think the difference between "gran clase" and "preferente" on a train hotel is that the "gran clase" has a shower in the compartment and the "preferente" doesn't.
To be absolutely sure on this, I'd call Rail Europe 1-800-4 EURAIL and not depend on my interpretation!
Wish I could give you a better answer, but I'm stumped. But it sounds like two plane tickets might be cheaper than either option!
Good luck!

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:21 PM
Linda

Dear Colleen,

I just spoke with Raileurope. The price (in US dollars) is $105 for a 1st class (preferente) private cabin PLUS $60 for a sleeper. That's a total of $165 per person plus a $15 handling fee. You would save the cost of a hotel room for a night. I didn't ask about Grande Classe pricing. GOOD LUck

Mar 15th, 2000, 04:24 PM
David

Just to add a bit of additional confusion to this subject, when I travelled on RENFE last November each time I checked on prices to travel "any-where" on the RENFE and local rail networks in Spain the prices differed. This included trips to Segovia and Toledo as well as the AVE to Seville. It seemed to me that the prices were changed on a daily basis. It didn't concern me much, I just went with the flow as often the price change was in my favour.