trains from Rome to France

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're hoping to travel by overnight train from Rome to somewhere in France (not quite sure where yet) - by trial and error I've found a direct service to Paris and to Dijon; is there any easy way of finding where else in France gets a direct service from Rome?
Does anyone have advice on where is the best place to get tickets online, and is it worth getting France/Italy rail passes? We'll be travelling by train on other occasions in Italy (from Verona to Rome) and in France (from whereever we end up to Paris), and then to the UK by Eurostar.

Cheers.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Leedinnm - I believe there's an overnight service from Rome along the French Riviera to Barcellona - so Menton, Nice, Cannes, Marseilles etc would be options.

Steve
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM
ira

Hi lee,

Tickets from Rome to France can be purchased online at www.sncf.com as early as 60 days in advance.

Currently, you can get 1cl for 1/3 less than 2cl on the night train from Rome to Paris.

Before ever buying railpasses, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves me money".

Old May 20th, 2005, 05:55 AM

There are, I think, only two overnight services from Roma to France: a train to Paris (which will the one that stops at Dijon at the crack of dawn) and one to Nice. There is probably one to Genève which is almost on the French border (and has TGVs to Paris). Before deciding whether to get a rail pass, you need to work out where you're going so that you can estimate the costs of buying normal train tickets.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone - Fodor's lives up to its reputation! www.railsaver.com is a fantastic website, just what I was looking for. We're off to Dijon to walk through the vinyards of Burgundy...