Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trains from Paris to Nice - how easy a journey and how much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am struggling getting a flight to nice the last week in May and am thinking of flying to Paris and getting the train to Nice. My final destination is Port Grimaud
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:13 PM

There are about five direct trains a day leaving from the Gare de Lyon. They take about six hours, and the fare is about 80 euros for second class or 130 for first. See www.sncf.com for more information.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I took the overnight train which doesn't waste a full day in travel time. I shared a sleeper car with people I didn't know to keep the cost down which was kind of weird but worked out okay. The train leaves late so you are really just there to sleep.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:38 PM

I was ready to suggest taking Easy Jet from Paris to Nice, but was shocked to bring up dates the last week in May and find nearly all tickets were 172 euro or even more instead of the 39 euro we paid last year from London to Nice!!! Is that the Cannes film festival week or something?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:28 PM

We have taken the train first class from Paris to Cannes and we found it an enjoyable journey; lots of time to view the changing scenery, catch up on some reading or just enjoy having a "lazy" day. Around noon everyone got out their little packets of pate, cheeses, breads, etc. and enjoyed their lunch. There was a bar car and stewards came around to take orders for lunch if you wanted to purchase. Just a question: I thought Port Grimaud was nearer to St.Tropez or am I wrong?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Buffet car trains leave the railway station at Charles de Gaulle airport at 0656 and 1124, and reach Nice at 1327 and 1739. But I agree with others that a <BR>sleeper is comfortable and convenient.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I took a quick look at some popular travel service websites (Expedia etc..) and found numerous cheap flights from Paris to Nice (May 24 - 31 - US $100 return). The only caveat being that most depart from Orly as opposed to Roissy-CDG which may be a headache if you need to transfer airports to reach a connecting flight.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:26 PM

The last week in May is both the Cannes film festival &amp; the Grand Prix in Monaco. Have you tried the option of flying to London &amp; then on to Nice?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:56 AM
Vincent

Actually, if you are going to Port Grimaud, the nearest station is Saint Raphael (or even Toulon, it's debatable), with ongoing bus connection (unless you intend to rent a car). Don't worry, both stations are on the Paris-Nice TGV line, and they will save you a good hour from Nice. So, assuming the fastest TGV takes 3 hours from Paris to Marseille, then add another 90 mn. So 4 1/2-5h in a comfortable train istn't that bad (preferible, IMHO, to a night sleeper, but that's personal... ). You can also try Toulon airport, there are lots of Paris-Toulon connections, possibly les &quot;polluted&quot; by the Cannes festival.