traffic tickets in italy 6 years ago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My aunt rented a car in Italy 6 years ago and inadvertently entered a lane that she apparently was not supposed to use for driving. There were no injuries or accidents but the event appears to have been captured on a traffic camera. She received notice after she returned that she had incurred some tickets. IN researching the matter on various travel boards and with agents, many travelers posted similar experiences and in the end she was advised not to pay as this was thought to be a scam.
She is now going back to another EU country and wants to make sure that this will not be an issue at the border. She is willing to pay if this was legitimate but does not want to pay a scammer.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM

You have not provided enough information for anyone to have an opinion on whether it was a scam or not.

If she was so sure of the advice she got 6 years ago, why ask now? Presumably, the rental company were advised of the traffic violation (it's their car and they would have been notified) and your aunt asked them if it was legitimate or not and whether she should pay. She didn't just rely on some strangers on a travel forum saying, 'don't worry about it' did she?

People do get fined when driving in other countries and those countries can and do chase them for payment. If you don't pay, the possible consequences are much the same as in your home country no doubt.

She decided to risk it, so be it. Now she gets to live with her decision.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:34 AM
ira

Hi r,

Fugedaboudit.

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:37 AM

>>She received notice after she returned that she had incurred some tickets<<

I'll pretty much duplicate what deluc said.

I have been "tagged" with about 5 different tickets while driving in France. First, I was notified by the car rental agency that they had given the police info about me. I then received a "ticket" (for just 1 of the infractions) from the police along with an explanation about how I could pay on-line - which I did. I did not receive tickets for the other four. Some of them are now 3-4 years old - and I assume the police decided the effort was not worth the reward.

If your aunt did not receive a ticket from the police - I would not worry at all. If she did and ignored it - I wouldn't worry much because six years have passed.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:38 AM

It almost certainly wasn't a scam. The hire car company would have provided her details to the authorities, and no one else, and there is no other way she would have received a ticket.

However the chances of it being a problem re-entering Europe are small.
If she goes back to Italy it could be, but it is unlikely to be after 6 years.
The Dutch do keep a database of such things and will charge for unpaid fines incurred in the Netherlands at passport control. I have no idea if the Italians also do something similar.

In future if she gets a ticket for a traffic violation she should pay it, just as she would at home.