Reload this Page >

Trains and Handicapped in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:40 AM
J. Jones

I will be traveling with a lady who is short, overweight, and uses a cane. I am very worried about getting her and our luggage up into and down out of trains. Is help available at train stations? If so, how do I arrange it? If not, any advice? Thank you. <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Rex

Regrettably, there is no such help in many smaller stations. Maybe more specific answers if you specified what towns?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:33 AM
claire

In the Milano Centrale station, about 7 months ago there were no available escalators and the elevators were out of order. That left everyone with the problem of getting up or down a double set of stairs as the trains are higher than the street level entrance. Really a disgrace. Many people were miserably struggling with luggage just to get to or from the trains, not to mention getting on & off. I did observe a petite & elderly Italian lady arrange with a terminal official of some sort for help, but I don't know where she found him and I can tell you no assistance was immediately obvious and my guess is you are in trouble if you don't speak and read a bit of Italian. On the other hand, you might check with/e-mail the trenitalia site for specific information about stations you will be traveling in.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Rex

Whew! I can only imagine trying to cope with Milano Centrale with its escalators out of order. Those things are technological marvels - - the only escalators I have ever seen with "matching" luggage carts that go on and off the escalators entirely safely and efortlessly. You have to see them to understand them. And it might be only "one flight" of stairs - - but it's the equivalent of three flights in any building of more normal scale and proportions.<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Dayle

Hi J! No, I haven't seen any help at the stations either. This is another very good reason to PACK LIGHT! On the bright side, I was often offered help from other passengers when all I had was a carry on size & really didn't need help.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:16 PM

to the top<BR>