Trainfrom FCO to Florence Train Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying into FCO on a Thursday afternoon, Oct. 25. I will be solo and wish to take the train directly from the airport to Florence. My flight originates from JFK, but will stop in Milan before arriving in Rome. Can I just buy a train ticket when I arrive, or should I purchase 1 online before I leave? Will I have a short walk from (I'm assuming the international terminal) to the train or do they have some sort of transportation? Should I have Euros or will a credit card do? I don't know if I have any other questions, so if anyone has any advice I could use, I welcome it! Thanks in advance. Mary
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 07:59 PM
kja

Originally Posted by zwho
I if anyone has any advice I could use, I welcome it! Thanks in advance. Mary
Most of these questions are covered in guidebooks, so my advice would be to consult one or two! You can also do things like google FCO, where you will find a wealth of information
https://www.roma-airport.com

You might experience a moment or two of frustration, but I'm sure you will find it easier than you fear.

P.S. I once learned that if you give a person an answer, you've given them an answer, period. If you give them a way to find answers, you've given them a door to the future.

Good luck!

Last edited by kja; Oct 14th, 2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 04:57 AM

>>> My flight originates from JFK, but will stop in Milan before arriving in Rome.
I don't think your "plane" just makes a "stop" in Milan before arriving in Rome. It is more likely that your flight from JFK ends in Milan, and you need to change to a smaller plane to Rome. Look at your ticket.

Did you have to buy a ticket to Rome? Flights to Milan from the US are often cheaper than to Rome. Also, in your case, if have booked flight to Milan instead, you could have arrived in Florence many hours earlier than with your currently itinerary. With your current ticket, you MUST fly to Rome.

>>> Can I just buy a train ticket when I arrive, or should I purchase 1 online before I leave?
You can buy a train ticket when you arrive, however, such tickets are more expensive than the advance online super discount tickets on the Freccia fast trains and both the ticket machines and the ticket counters at the FCO train station often have long queues. The queues move slowly as many of the users are using the machines for the first time.The super discount tickets are only on a specific train. If you miss it, you have to buy a new one at a last minutes price. If you look at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia, there is one afternoon train that you don't have to change in Rome. The rest require change of train somewhere. The 15:08 no change train for FCO-Firenze S.M.N has no super economy tickets left as your travel is too soon from now.

>>> Will I have a short walk from (I'm assuming the international terminal) to the train or do they have some sort of transportation?
The train station at FCO airport is at the airport. You walk to it. It can seem you are walking forever through skybridges, however.

>>> Should I have Euros or will a credit card do?
If you have a typical US credit card incapable of performing PIN based purchases, you will have to line up at the manned ticket window. Try using a machine first. It will give you some sort of obscure error message if the amount of transaction is not deemed trivial enough needing charge authorization from your bank. If your bank uses a paranoid fraud detection department, your initial cc transactions will be blocked even if you have placed a travel alert. They keep your card blocked until you contact that you are the one who did the transaction. You contact your bank either by phone or by going online to website or using the bank app.

Getting Euros before you get there would incur quite fees of all kind on top of a bad exchange rate. Adding to the insult, not all the ticket machines take Euro cash.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Maybe look into a private driver if at all nervous but greg says it all - best to take airport train to Rome Termini station then fast train to Florence. If you arrive early enough to take the odd direct FCO-Florence train great - just buy tickets once land as you do not know which trains you will be able to take until landing - unless you want to build a ton of extra time in to nab discounted tickets Termini-Florence SMN (main Florence station) - for lots on trains check www.seat61.com - especially good for discounted ticket info; general info www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also look at the italotreno.it site to see if the Rome-> Florence segment is cheaper on Italo - at the current time there are afternoon tickets available from around €26. You'd still need to buy a trenitalia ticket for the FCO -> Rome Tiburtina section.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:13 AM

Can by Italo train ticket at station too?
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there are offices and ticket machines at the major stations for Italo, and definitely had at Rome Tiburtina when I was last there.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Thanks - so Italo only goes to Tiburtina Station - fine but then one would want to take regular regional train from FCO train station to Tiburtina station and now Leonardo Express dedicated airport train to Termini. And the regional train though much slower as it stops a lot is also cheaper than Leonardo train. Italo -www.italotreno.com often has cheap tickets when Trenitalia.com does not - even on same day perhaps. Thanks for the info.