Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train vs Auto Germany/Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-vs-auto-germany-italy-141582/)

LE Jan 14th, 2002 02:23 PM

Train vs Auto Germany/Italy

In July, we will be traveling from Garmisch, Germany to Rome (4 nites), to Venice (2 nites), and back to Garmisch. For 2 adults, 1st class train looks like over $725 cost. We have the use of an auto without rental cost to us, just gas, etc. Seems like many on these discussion boards advise against driving with parking problems in Rome and Venice. But we wonder? Can anyone speak some to this with any advice for us? Thanks.

Celeste Jan 14th, 2002 02:33 PM

In May I drove from Frankfurt to Garmisch to Venice, turned in the car to avoid paying parking fees, and then flew to Rome (and then Athens). I drove in the places I did because I knew there were back roads I wanted to drive and places to see that I couldn't have seen on the train. However, with the gas prices what they are in Europe (Italy was more than $3.50 per gallon), not to mention parking fees in Venice and Rome, I don't think you'll be saving more than $200 or so by driving, and the drivers will be worn out when they get places. Driving in Europe takes all my attention because things are happening so quickly, and as a result, I'm exhausted after a long drive there.<BR><BR>You might want to consider flying along part of the route, however, because sitting on the train can get pretty tiring, too. I bought all my tickets on Auto Europe and they were quite reasonable. ($105 Venice to Rome)

Celeste Jan 14th, 2002 02:36 PM

Ooops, I forgot to mention that if you DO decide to drive, there are numerous parking lots on the "ring" around Rome where parking is free or inexpensive and it's an easy bus or tram ride into the city. Plus there the Tronchetto in Venice, which is about $20 per 24 hours, and most hotels also offer discounts for parking there. So if you really want to drive, go for it!

xxx Jan 14th, 2002 07:52 PM

If you could do a train/car combo. Many countries offer a "Rail & Drive" pass that gives travelers a set number of days of car rental to mix in with a set number of days of train travel (e.g., any 4 rail days and 2 car days within a 2-month period). These passes can be a worthwhile option. Train days are best spent on long hauls and going from big city to big city. Car days are most enjoyable when exploring the countryside.<BR><BR>There may be other rail passes that would suit your itinerary. After a lot of research I found the Eurail brochure that AAA uses to be the most comprehensive and easiest to understand.

Gar Jan 14th, 2002 11:40 PM

hi there,<BR>fopr me it is definitly car. You can stop where You want. You can go to small villages. You are faster and always in time. You dont need a taxi. You daont have to carry tons trough the stations and trains ...<BR>have fun<BR>Gar

Wa;yne Jan 15th, 2002 05:05 AM

I always drive a rental car. However, if I am going to a large city such as Rome, I make sure I have a detailed city map. And ahead of time, I contact the hotel where I'll be staying and ask them to tell me the best place to park near the hotel. Once in Rome (or another major city) I leave the car parked and take public transport or taxi. I still think the flexibility of a car gives you a much more pleasant vacation. By the time you cope with train or plane schedules, you probably could have enjoyed the drive and gotten there in a reasonable time. This certainly applies only to shorter trips; for long-distance travel when you don't have a reason to sightsee or stop along the way, plane or train is the way to go. Parking fees will add to the cost, but the convenience of a car is hard to beat.

Wayne Jan 15th, 2002 05:08 AM

I forgot to add that you can even pre-arrange a reserved parking place at parking garage of the Piazzale Roma at Venice, and do it all via the internet. That way, you know you will have a place when you arrive. Go to www.veniceworld.com for more details.

LE Jan 18th, 2002 04:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. We'll probably be sticking with the train. The following comments from our hotel in Rome may be of interest to those facing a similar decision. "Hello again!<BR>We want to suggest you that it's better that you don't take car. In Rome it's very difficult drive car, it is also for Roman people. It' s very difficult and expensive to find a place to park it. There is a garage near our place, it costs about Euro 25.00 per day, or there are many garage near St Peter area, they costs about Euro 15.00 per day. Think about it".