Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train-Venice to Milan to Vareena, then ferry to Bellagio?

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a lot of schlepping (I'm a New Yorker). Is our only other option a private driver? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Guess it depends on how much you are schlepping. I've done that amount of travel on most of my trips. That's one train change and then a short walk (down hill) to the boat. Not very difficult at all. What is it about it that seems unpleasant to you?
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 04:12 AM

On our trip in 2012, we wanted a car to drive around Piedmont after our visit to Bellagio so we decided to rent a car in Venice and drive to Bellagio. Here is an excerpt from my trip report:

We had been in Bellagio for three days and had not moved our car an inch. If we had it to do again, we would still rent a car in Venice, drive to Bellagio and park it for the three days. It was just too convenient to be able to drive in to Bellagio and pull right up to the hotel to unload, park for free 3 spaces from the front door, then when we left, pull up to the door, put our luggage in and drive to Asti with no steps, hills, ferries, taxis or trains to deal with or haul luggage to and from. I guess we are getting spoiled in our old age. Plus the big bonus was I loved the drive on those curvy, hilly, narrow roads in a fairly powerful car with a manual shift transmission – too much fun!
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 04:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The train from Venice to Milan is NOT a schlepp IMO nor is the transfer at Milano Centrale to the train to Varenna-Esino. Both segments mean you actually have to walk which even New Yorkers know how to do. As was mentioned, the segment from the Varenna station to the ferry dock is all downhill.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When you pick two destinations that are a fair distance apart, there will be some schlepping. You could eliminate one step of the journey if you stayed in Varenna.

I will say that the view of the lake as you walk from the Varenna-Esino train station to the ferry dock is one of my favorite mental images of Italy.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 07:02 AM

I do "schlepps" like that on every trip I take in Europe. I do many that are far worse. I'm not sure I'm understanding what seems difficult about it. If the problem is too much luggage (just guessing), well then, there's the problem, not the "schlepp."
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:10 AM

You may take the Zurich bound train from Venice dp 15.18 up to Como ar 18.48 and go on from there by taxi (19 miles). The Como - Bellagio bus would leave Como SG railway station at 19.50.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:19 AM

I don't believe you have to go all the way to Milan. Just to City of Como to get the Varenna-Esino train. Do double check as my travels are getting old!
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Heading to Como S. Giovanni doesn't reduce the steps, but it does afford the option to take the ferry from Como to Bellagio (which, for the OP, is much longer than from Varenna).

The Zurich-bound train from Venice involves a connection at Milano Centrale.

Trains from Como S. Giovanni involve a connection at either Lecco or Monza.

Linda, just bite the bullet and train from Venice to Milan to Varenna. You can research train service at the link below. Use only Italian spellings (i.e., Venezia, Milano, Varenna-Esino, etc.).

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

What you won't see on the timetable (unless you know how to look) is that the stop in Varenna is only 4 minutes. After an hour from Milan, you should get yourselves ready. As with all train travel, the less luggage (fewer and smaller pieces) the better.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

You are the first to suggest this route, and I will investigate. Thanks much.

To all the others - no, not a lot of luggage. Health and mobility issues. Please remember on these lists, not all of us are 35 and in perfect physical shape. Yes, we New Yorker's walk - a lot- but not everyone in our group is able. Thanks for understanding!
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 06:59 AM

Quelle salade!

"The Zurich-bound train from Venice involves a connection at Milano Centrale"
Of course not! It leaves Venice at 15.18 and arrives at Como San Giovanni at 18.48 (and continues to Zurich)

"Trains from Como S. Giovanni involve a connection at either Lecco or Monza"
No normal human being would go from Como SG via Varenna to Bellagio (2 changes and more than 2 hrs journey) if there is a direct bus from Como SG to Bellagio (1 hrs journey).

"What you won't see on the timetable (unless you know how to look) is that the stop in Varenna is only 4 minutes"
Of course not! The train stops just 1 min, but that's by far enough for such a small and insignificant place!

Let's compare the different solutions (with departure at Venice at 15.18):

My proposal: Venice dp 15.18 - Como SG ar 18.48 - taxi - Bellagio ar 19.30, resp
Venice dp 15.18 - Como SG ar 18.48, 1 hr layover - dp 19.50 - bus - Bellagio ar 20.50
You may also go from Como railway station by taxi to the boat's pier (about half a mile), board the 19.20 catamaran and arrive at Bellagio at 20.00

Via Varenna: Venice dp 16.18 - Milano Centrale ar 18.55 - change train - dp 19.20 - Varenna ar 20.23 - walk down to the ferry pier - dp 21.05 - Bellagio ar 21.20.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

WOW. You may win! Let me review online. Thanks so much for your travel planning generosity.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

So I am officially confused. Went on the Trenitalia.com website. I see Venice to Como, but there is still a connect to be made. Any further input/clarification is appreciated.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:49 AM

1) Make sure to input the correct station in Como(it has 4 different stations). Select "Como S. Giovanni" from the drop down list of stations which should pop up as you start typing Como.

2) Set the departure time from Venice(Venezia S. Lucia) to 15:00.

Can you see it now?

Here is how to use trenitalia.com: https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains....Trenitalia.com

By the way, if you're only checking schedules and not looking to book or check the fares it's better to use www.bahn.com (works for most of Europe) which is easier to use, for example you can select to show you only direct trains.

Last edited by BDKR; Nov 10th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Ah, yes, I see it now. This one afternoon train is the only direct one. Others require transfers. DARN. We want to leave in the morning. But I'll keep this in our bag of tricks.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 10:11 AM

"We want to leave in the morning."

Schlepping it is than!

"What you won't see on the timetable (unless you know how to look) is that the stop in Varenna is only 4 minutes"
Of course not! The train stops just 1 min, but that's by far enough for such a small and insignificant place!"

And of course the conductor(train manager as they're called in England) won't give the loco driver(engineer) the green sign until passangers are still in the process of alighting. So making sure you're prepared and stand by the door as the train is coming to the stop, but no need to hurry once you started getting off. Never hurry around trains(not talking about running to the platform to catch one if you need), this is how nasty accidents happen. Safety first!

Last edited by BDKR; Nov 10th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.