Train Trip-Time From/To Various Cities and Best Station Near Positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to figure out time tables for check out/in, rental car pick up, etc. and could use some Fodorite expertise. We will begin our trip in Venice for three nights on September 14th and head to Perugia (cheapest place for rental car and you still have to pay for three days rental even though we will only have it for two!). How long does this train trip take? We are staying in Bevagna for two nights then head back to Perugia to drop off car and head to Rome for four nights. How long does the train take from Perugia to Rome? Then we will head from Rome to Positano for five nights. Again, how long? What station would be best for us to arrive at in order to find the SITA bus to take us on into Positano? And one more question please, does anyone know which bus stop would be best to get to La Tavolozza in Positano? Our friends are not big on too much walking so I want to get them there the easiest route.

Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

OK. I posted prematurely for the last few of my questions. I read the post regarding training into Salerno and taking the ferry back into Positano. This sounds easy and painless with a bost ride to boot! I've read here that it is a pretty view coming in from the water.
If anyone can help with train times on the first legs of the trip I would be most grateful.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See bahn.de or trenitalia.it
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
There are 2 SITA bus stops in Positano. You definitely want the 2nd one coming from Rome. It's a short walk down the street to La Tavolozza. We just spent 4 nites there in Room 6. We walked right past it the first time. It's a relatively small stand-alone building and, although it has lots of floors, all but the first floor are below ground level. Thus, it will look like a one story white building from the street. It has neat wrought iron in front of the windows and is located next to a little shop with postcards and other such things. It's on the side of the street closest to and facing the water. It's name is on the corner of the building. Go to tripadvisor to check out the photos and get other info(http://tinyurl.com/n846mr).
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd-thanks for the link, it looks like 5 hours from Venice to Perugia, 3 hours from Perugia to Rome, and 2 hours from Rome to Naples. However the train ride into Salerno is VERY appealing and just a little extra time added on.
dcd-thanks for the info on the two bus stops. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay there. My son was there last year with his girlfriend and her parents. I appreciate the heads up on how to recognize the place as I, like you, would probably have walked past it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
dcd

galestorm, there's a non-stop train from Rome to Naples that takes about an hour and 20 minutes. It's the so-called ES A train. You could then hire a private driver from Naples to Positano. When we left Positano for Rome, that's what we did. It cost us 80E from Positano to Naples, departing at 8:15am from La Tavolozza on a Friday morning (not much traffic) and we were at the Naples train station by 9:45. We had a great driver. If you'd like his name, let me know.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

dcd-I would love to have his name, thanks. We are taking an early morning flight when we leave Positano from the Naples airport. I got some names from Steve James previously but they were all in the 100E-125E range. And thanks for the recommendation on the ES A train, it is much faster. I'll check it out on trenitalia. Did you book your train tickets prior to your trip?
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
dcd

As I mentioned, we went as far as the Naples train station so I'm not sure what his rate would be to the airport. Also the fare may be higher if the transfer is real early in the morning. I'm at the office now and will give you his name when I get home. He's based in Sorrento.

We did not book our tickets ahead of time. Traveling isn't always precise so I didn't want to be stuck with tickets I couldn't use. I used the automatic machines which were pretty easy to use. Just a little unnerving the first time. The machines accept credit cards. In Naples, there's a ticket office in the front of the train station where you can buy tickets from a person and since we were in a hurry to catch the ES A train, we did that. They do charge a service fee, however.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
dcd

galelstorm, I should have mentioned that we loved La Tavolozza. Has to be the best value in town. Very friendly and helpful owners. Great location. We paid 95E for a room with a private bath, a small refigerator, AC, and a semi-private terrace with great views of the Bay and of Positano. One of the priciest places in town, Le Sirenuse, is just up the street with pretty much the same views but for $1,000 a nite. The local buses pick up and drop off just down the street for La Tavolozza in front of the Tabbaci shop.

Hopefully your friends can handle some hills. La Tavolozza, like most of Positano, is on a hill but it's not real high up compared to many places. Still, it's a good 10-15 minute walk straight down to the pier/beach area (when you know the way) and about 15-20 minutes back up, if one is in decent shape. Much longer for those who aren't.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

galestorm,

No need to backtrack to return your rental car to Perugia. Return it right in Foligno which is very nearby Bevegna. Avis has an office literally right in the train station. From there, it's about 1 hr 40 min to Termini.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
dcd

galelstorm, the driver's name is Tonino Coppola and his email address is: [email protected]. His website is: www.acspecialdriver.com He is clean cut, speaks good English, punctual, and drives very well. When I told Celeste, the matriarch at La Tavolozza, that we got a rate of 80E to Naples, she was impressed, saying it usually costs 90E for the drivers she hires for her guests.

We learned of him thru a relative of his who owns and runs the Aiano B&B on Capri where we stayed for 4 nites before going to Positano. (Another incredible find, thanks to Trip Advisor.) I'm not sure Tonino will remember us but you might tell him that you got his name from a married couple who used his services at the end of May for a transfer from La Tavolozza to the Naples train station and who had just stayed at his cousin Tony's B&B on Capri.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

dcd - My son loved La Tavolozza and thought it was the best place they stayed at in Italy.Very relaxing and gorgeous views. We will be renting the same room they were as it has two bedrooms and two bath and it is a bit more expensive at 230E with a huge terrace. Yes, I have read of the many pricier places in Positano and from everything I read on Trip Advisor La Tavolozaa is perfect for us.

I'm hoping they can get into the walking habit before we go so they won't be out of breath the whole time in Positano!

Thank you for the name and link to the driver you used! I will contact him subito (right away) to see if he can take us to the airport for our flight to Palermo. I will most certainly mention you and your kind recommendation.

Dayle - the best price I could get for the car in Umbria was from Kemwell and that was picking up at the Perugia airport and dropping off downtown. The smaller towns didn't offer much of a price break but I will check again with them. Thanks!