Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Trip in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-trip-in-italy-643568/)

khelliwell Sep 1st, 2006 07:48 AM

Train Trip in Italy

My husband and I are first time travelers to Italy. We have 8 nights only and need to choose 2 locations for enjoying both the city and country of Italy. Can someone help me with an itinerary. I was thinking of flying into Rome - staying 2 nights. Taking a train to Tuscan Region (Siena, Florence, Chianti) for 4 nights. Take the train back to Rome for 2 nights. Questions? Should we rent a car vs. train? Does anyone have any accomodation ideas? Thank you everyone, Kerri & Paul.

PalQ Sep 1st, 2006 07:51 AM

Seems like 4 days in Tuscany region would be best by car - rent one when leaving Rome and return it when arriving in Florence as cars in those two cities are worthless and indeed can be a liability.
But driving around Tuscany can be sweet. But there is also a dense system of buses that connect nearly all the fabled Tuscan hill towns so you don't really need a car even.
Trains serve Siena but bus is better option from Florence.

Dayle Sep 1st, 2006 08:09 AM

Hi K,

I assume you are returning to Rome for return flight? I think you will enjoy this trip most if:

Don't divide your Rome time up more than necessary. Do 3 -1 or all nights there either first or last.

Rome 3 nights
train to either Orvieto or Chiusi and pick up car
4 nights Tuscany
drop car in one of the above or Siena, or Florence maybe
train to Rome for final night before return flight

DEFINITELY get a car for Tuscany!
Buon viaggio!

Henry Sep 1st, 2006 12:47 PM

Khelliwell,
If flying in and out of Rome, take a train to Florence or Chuisi or Orvieto and rent a car. Spend four days in Tuscany then return the car and spend for days in Rome. This will save you one day of packing and traveling.
If you want more information feel free to e-mail me.

ira Sep 1st, 2006 01:52 PM

Hi K,

I agree with Henry.

Go directly to your Tuscany base upon arrival and come back to Rome.

Orvieto is 1 hr by train from Rome and 1:30 hr by car from Siena.

Chiusi is 1:22 hr by train from Rome and 1:11 hr from Siena.

You can pick up a car in both towns.

See www.novacarhire.com and www.autoeurope.com.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

mulifat Sep 1st, 2006 05:45 PM

Why would somebody want to first arrive at Rome aiport, then take either a train or taxi to Termini, to catch the train to Tuscany, then pick up a car there? It seems more sensible to land at Rome, rent a car right there, and drive to Tuscany. What am I missing here?

ira Sep 2nd, 2006 04:16 AM

Hi M,

It's a 3-hr drive from FCO to Siena, of which about 2 hr is on the Autostrada.

That's not safe for someone who has just flown in from the US.

((I))

mulifat Sep 2nd, 2006 05:45 AM

Ira,

Interesting thought...I guess a good argument could be made for that

Then again....for those of us who are used to driving on Route 80 in NJ, even after a good nights sleep, 3 hours on the autobahn even an all-nighter would be a piece of cake :>)

bblount Sep 2nd, 2006 05:51 AM

We are leaving in a few weeks for Italy. We will be picking up our car in Florence for our days in Tuscany, then returning the car to Florence. I am beginning to get soooooooo nervous about picking up and returning the car to Florence. everyone makes it sound like an absolute nightmare. Is there anyone who doesn't think it will be soooo bad? I don't at this point have any other options, but I will be a wreck during our trip if I have to worry constantly about the car pick up and return...........Help!!!!!

ira Sep 2nd, 2006 05:55 AM

Hi BB,

It's not that awful.

Pickup might be a bit difficult because you will be in a strange town, in a strange car.

Return will be much easier.

You could pick up at the airport, but that will be more expensive.

((I))

bobthenavigator Sep 2nd, 2006 06:00 AM

I agree with Dayle---good plan.

bblount Sep 2nd, 2006 06:03 AM

Thanks Ira,
I'm not so worried about pickup, because we don't have to be anywhere at a certain time. But on the return, we need to catch the 12:30pm train to Rome. WE are staying in Monterigioni the night before, so we have to travel back to Florence in the morning. But we are giving our selves about 3 1/2 hours to drive 40 miles drop off the car, and take a taxi to the train station. Shouldn't that be enough time? Can't change our plans at this late date.......

mulifat Sep 2nd, 2006 07:32 AM

We have driven out of Florence on 2 separate occasions, and while it can be a bit "challenging", it is not really that bad. We looked at it as an adventure, and as long as you allow yourself some lost time, you will be fine. Driving back into the city was way smoother

ira Sep 2nd, 2006 09:22 AM

Hi K,

It's 0:48 hr from Monterigioni to Florence.

3:30 hr is more than enough time.

((I))

toni_g_b Sep 2nd, 2006 12:01 PM

bblount,

Driving into and out of Florence is really not that bad from our experience. The problem arouse for us when we tried to drive to our hotel door a block away from the Duomo. All the "do-not-enter" and "one-way" streets in the pedestrian only area were what drove us crazy. The hotel failed to mention that they were not particularly applicable if you have a reservation inside the old part of Florence. Now you tell us! The car rental agency should have very detailed maps showing how to leave for your destination.

lisa64 Sep 3rd, 2006 05:40 AM

We are going in the spring and the plan right now is to fly into Rome, pick up two rental cars...we have 11 people....and drive out to chiusi where we have a villa rented. It seems easier to do this rather than take all of the luggage onto the train. Then we will train back and forth to rome and florence for touring. Would you still suggest taking train and then renting cars in chiusi?

Dayle Sep 3rd, 2006 07:33 AM

Lisa,

Are you aware that it's a 1 1/2 hour train ride one way from Chiusi to Rome? Why not just stay in Rome and Florence and rent the villa inbetween?

ira Sep 3rd, 2006 07:40 AM

Hi lisa,

It's also over an hour from Chiusi to Florence.

I agree with Dayle.

How long do you have?

>pick up two rental cars...we have 11 people..<

That sounds like two vans, not cars.

((I))

MaureenB Sep 3rd, 2006 08:15 AM

Have you already purchases airfare? If not, I suggest you fly into one city and out of the other (into Rome, out of Florence?), to avoid wasting precious time in backtracking to your arrival city.