Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train travelers, please clarify the following: "Mandatory reservationPosti assegnati in Carrozza 1: 52 -" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-travelers-please-clarify-the-following-mandatory-reservationposti-assegnati-in-carrozza-1-52-a-557505/)

Luisah Sep 10th, 2005 07:59 AM

Train travelers, please clarify the following: "Mandatory reservationPosti assegnati in Carrozza 1: 52 -"

Hello Italy train travelers,

I'm not sure what this means. I had a hard time with the Trenitalia site and am wondering if I missed paying for the mandatory seat reservation or if this indicates that I have a seat reservation. Everything on the e-mail confirmation is in English except the Seat Details Section.
This is for a first-class ticket on an IC train to Chiusi.

The total charged looks like I just paid for the ticket. Is the reservation included in the price on a first class ticket?

I selected first class because it's my first train experience in Italy -- I'll be traveling alone -- and thought it would be easier to maneuver and store the luggage while the cost difference was insignificant from second class.

If 1:52 does indicate the seat reservation, does it mean Car 1, Seat 52?

Thanks for any help.

BATUFFOLINA Sep 10th, 2005 08:35 AM

Yes, usually the first number indicates the CARROZZA (Coach number)and the second is the seat number. If you imagine the train being a snake, the first class coaches are always at the beginning of the train usually from 1 to 5 (head), then there is the 2nd class up to the "tail" of the train. Inthe middle you can find the restaurant coach.

Luisah Sep 11th, 2005 08:52 AM

Thank you Battuffolina,

That does help. I haven't been to Italy for many years and have never traveled by train and I've had much anxiety about getting the ticket, finding the platform, seat, etc. At least now I have my e-ticket and know what car to get into. I know I'll be fine once I get my luggage settled and am on the move.

Thanks for your help.
Luisah

BATUFFOLINA Sep 12th, 2005 07:32 AM

Another advice Luisa: when you arrive at the station, check the yellow wall posters where there are the departure times (PARTENZE), find your train (you can use as a reference your train number) and see its where it is directed, its FINAL DESTINATION, it's important. You're getting off in chiusi but maybe your train is actually going to let's Genova or Turin or Milan etc... so on the tv screen at the beginning of the platform, your train will appear as directed to one of these destinations and Chiusi will not be mentioned but you know that it stops there, you know what I mean? In case of doubt, neat the platforms there are sometimes some tiny booths (merely a high chair and a little high table) with a Trenitalia person with a little book in front of them. Ask them OR there are also booths with INFORMAZIONI, where you can get the same kind of info about your train and from which platform it leaves. Unfortunately sometimes Trenitalia has the brilliant idea to change the platform, but you can check the actual platform where the train departs from from the parge electronic screens that everyone watch which are situated near the platforms.

GeoffHamer Sep 12th, 2005 07:44 AM

If you tell us what train you're catching, we can find out more information.
E-tickets are only available with a seat reservation - they don't sell open tickets by e-mail.

Luisah Sep 12th, 2005 08:32 AM

Thanks so much, this is a big help --the more information the better. I hadn't thought about checking the end of the line so that's very useful.

The train is IC 704 Termini (10:47) to Chiusi. So I'm set on the seat reservation. Apparently the charge is included in the price. I was expecting an additional cost.

Strange thing though: yesterday I used the credit card that I'd used on Friday to purchase the ticket but it didn't clear so the salesclerk had to call and speak to the bank (BOA) and then I spoke to the bank rep. He wanted to verify the last three purchases and other info. The online Italy purchase was a red flag and he said that they had submitted the cost three times so to watch my statement.

Thank you both for helping.
Luisah

BATUFFOLINA Sep 12th, 2005 05:09 PM

The IC 704 (Matilde Serao) originates in Naples and its final destination is Venice Santa Lucia. YOur stop is CHIUSI-CHIANCIANO TERME

Luisah Sep 12th, 2005 07:57 PM

Thanks Batuffolina,

I'm feeling better about this now. I like the idea of being on a train that is going to Venice, even if I'm getting off before it gets there. Maybe next trip will be to Venice.

It's really nice to have someone in Italy providing information. I'm truly grateful that you are doing this.

Grazie

GeoffHamer Sep 13th, 2005 12:06 AM

Note that "Venice" will appear on signs and information screens in Italian stations as Venezia.

Luisah Sep 13th, 2005 08:44 AM

Thanks Geoff,

My mind is saying "Venice" so that is a good reminder.

Luisah