Train travel within Czech & to Vienna

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Kimberly

Train travel within Czech & to Vienna

I have heard about the Eastern Europe Railpass as well as a Czech Flexpass. As we will only be traveling from Prague to Ceske Budejovice, Cesky Krumlov and Vienna, does it make the most economical sense to buy individual tickets once we are in the Czech Republic. On a different note, from what I can tell, it seems that we would need to return to Ceske Budejovice from Cesky Krumlov to get to Vienna instead of taking a train directly from Cesky Krumlov. I have never traveled by train before so I am little anxious, but excited. Thanks for any help!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Linda

The trains are great & you don't need to go 1st class. Second class has compartments & the luggage is stowed above your head. If you are not traveling a great deal, then buy the tickets once you get there. Check http://bahn.hafas.de & use Wien for Vienna and Praha for Prague. You will get several itineraries.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Kimberly

Linda - Thank you for the website info. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the trains?

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Linda

A little nicer seats--occasionally four instead of six, but you will find, sometimes, half the car is 2nd class and the other half is 1st. In both luggage is stowed above the head. The bathrooms are maybe a little bigger but no one stops you from using the first class one. When you get on the train, you can pick cars with compartments or open seating. I prefer the quiet & fewer passengers in compartments.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

It makes no sense to buy a railpass of any kind. Prague to Ceske Budejovice is 169 kilometers, so costs about 100 crowns second class, or 2 US dollars 50 cents. International fares are much more per kilometer, so your best technique from Prague is to buy a Czech ticket to the frontier at Breclav, and either buy a ticket to Vienna in Breclav station or carry spare Austrian shillings and pay the Austrian conductor on the train for the Austrian part of the journey.
From Ceske Budejovice you can buy a Czech ticket to the frontier at Ceske Velenice, at Ceske alenice or on the transfrintier local train buy the ticket to Gmund, carry spare Austrian shillings, and buy in Gmund station your Austrian ticket onward. Gmund to Vienna is 167 kilometers, so costs about 270 shillings or 17 US dollars.

Yes, indeed, you do need to come back from Krumlov to Budejovice in order to go on to Austria. No problem at all. There are trains and busses. In fact, I used the bus more than the train, because the two stations in Budejovice are across the road from each other, and at Krumlov the busses run right along to stops next to the walls, while the railway line stops a bit out in the suburbs. You might even decide to waste twenty cents'-worth of rail ticket, and go on to Krumlov by bus: it depends on which has the earlier connection from your Prague express.

Excitement is right, and anxiety is understandable, but (you'll find) needless.

In Prague main station (Prague Hlavni) beware pickpockets. As I walk through that station I keep my money and tickets in my sock, and all other valuables in a brown envelope wrapped in a dirty shirt in the middle of my bag. No such problems in the stations of south Bohemia nor at Breclav.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London