Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Train Travel web site for Paris to Strasbourg tickets

Train Travel web site for Paris to Strasbourg tickets

Jun 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Train Travel web site for Paris to Strasbourg tickets

My wife and I would like to take the "fast" train (I'm not sure what they call it) from Paris to Strasbourg in September and then a return trip. Is there a web site for information that I can access? Should tickets be bought ahead of time online; or bought day of travel at the station? I believe that I have read that this is about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour trip.
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM

www.seat61.com for general information and advice about train travel.

www.voyages-sncf.com is the train operator's website, but you'll need French. The high-speed service is the TGV.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:32 PM

You can purchase deeply discounted (but nonexchangeable and nonrefundable) TGV tickets called PREMs from the SNCF website about, starting 3 months out from your date of travel. That would save you a considerable amount over buying them on the day you travel.
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:22 AM
ira

ditto stC
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:43 AM

For mid-week travel in September you could currently get a ticket to Strasbourg for 22-52 euros, depending on the time of day; a return ticket the following week would cost 19-84,20 euros.
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM

To book in English and get the same discount fares, use www.tgv-europe.com, a multi-language SNCF site. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as your country of residence. If you get a Prem's fare, print your own e-tickets. Or pick up your tickets at any SNCF station in France. Credit cards that don't have an embedded chip won't work in station ticket machines, but you can always go to a ticket window and have an agent swipe your card. Just be sure not to pick "Delivery by post" since you don't actually live in Great Britain.
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

In looking at possibly purchasing tickets ahead of time (train travel in September); I see that from Paris to Strasbourg the Rail Service is either Lyria or TGV (but both cover the distance in just over 2 hours). Is there a difference between the two? From Strasbourg to Paris is all TGV.
Also; tickets can be Economy restricted 2nd class; Freedom Flexible 2nd class; restricted 1st class. What are differences? I assume I want 2nd class; but which one?
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM

>Is there a difference between the two? From Strasbourg to Paris is all TGV.

Lyria is simply a TGV continuing to Switzerland.

>Also; tickets can be Economy restricted 2nd class; Freedom Flexible 2nd class; restricted 1st class. What are differences?

You are looking at something like RailEurope? Don't. They are a rip-off.
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Is there another web site/place that I should be looking? I went into website from one of responders above - www.voyages-scnf.com; but it does end up as RailEurope
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM

Use www.tgv-europe.com and say that you are a resident of Great Britain (see my post above).
Jul 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM

Or if you don't want to be British for a few minutes, pick Canada -- that designation no longer bumps North Americans to the lemon-squeezer RailEurope.
Jul 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM

DON'T go to Rail Europe. Say you're French, if you read French, or British or Canadian if you don't. Get going - tickets start being bought up 3 months in advance of your travel dates.
Jul 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM

I just got back from trip to Paris and Strasbourg.
I posted before about getting PREM tickets for 22 euros each way.
As StCirq said the discounted tickets cannot be exchanged.
As a matter of fact, I got bored in Strasbourg and considered returning to Paris earlier i.e purchasing another ticket. The "new" ticket would have cost me almost 70 euros. I stayed in Strasbourg until I could use my 22 euros PREM ticket.
Jul 22nd, 2010, 04:15 AM

I did it a couple of years ago in French on the SNCF site (it's pretty easy to do even if like me, you don't speak French). One word of advice, the norm for picking up tickets at the station is to insert the credit card you used in an automated machine. Unless it has changed, US credit cards do not work in the machine - you will need to go to the window, so allow a little extra time or pick them up on a day before your travel day.

Search this Thread