Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Train travel to Hatherop & good B&B in Hatherop??

Train travel to Hatherop & good B&B in Hatherop??

Jul 13th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Train travel to Hatherop & good B&B in Hatherop??

Thank you so much on your insight for location of Hatherop. I had been looking for that answer for a long time!! When I go on rail enquires, I cannot find a station for Hatherop. Would I have to take a train to a nearby town, then taxi?? Also would like to continue on the next day to Edinburgh? Best way to do that as well, pls? Also, would anyone have any recommendations of good B&B with charm for single woman traveler in area?
Jul 13th, 2003, 01:45 AM

This link may help as it gives the distance from other places that might have a train station.

http://travel.knowhere.co.uk/place/+hatherop/
Jul 13th, 2003, 09:18 AM

This is the real reason why trains aren't as good a way to see England as many think.

The nearest station is probably Kemble -almost a non-place, with little more than a station. Getting a cab might not be that easy. The nearest places with stations and reliable cab ranks are Cheltenham and Swindon - both serious drives, by UK (and hence cab fare) standards.

From London, trains to Swindon are excellent: but getting from Swindon to Scotland is a pain. London-Cheltenham trains are less frequent. But there's roughly one train an hour from Cheltenham to Edinburgh, some requiring a change at Birmingham.

If you're coming from Heathrow or Gatwick, I'd rent a car to Gloucestershire and leave it at Birmingham airport, thus avoiding towns. This is both a relatively painless, and often very pretty, drive. Birmingham airport is also a railway station with good service to Scotland.

For details of train routes, go to the First Great Western site

I doubt there are any hotels at Hatherop. Having a car means you can select easily from the many Cotswold villages Hatherop's surrounded by. If family records tell you anything more than Hatherop, a car also lets you get to the farm or whatever. And if you discover, for example, that baptismal records exist, but are at the county archive (unlikely, I concede), a car gives you that flexibity too
Jul 13th, 2003, 09:51 AM

flanneruk has provided good advice. Hatherop is a tiny place N of Lechlade and Fairford and SW of Burford. There really is no easy way to get there and then from there to Edinburgh by train.

If you are determined to do it by train/taxi you will spend the best part of two days and a lot of money getting there and then up to Scotland.

Fairford and Burford have a LOT of B&Bs so if you might want to consider taking a bus and staying in Fairford (or Burford) and a taxi from there.

BUT - renting a car would be a LOT easier.
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
ron

If you really want to get to Hatherop by public transport without renting a car, there is (very) limited bus service from Cirencester via Bibury, see http://www.countrygoer.org/cotswolds/Central.pdf From the schedule, Ebley service 863, it looks like Tuesdays and Thursdays are the only day this would work well.

Kemble is the train station for Cirencester; the same web page gives the schedule for buses from the train station to Cirencester, 55 Fosse Link.

A couple of years ago, I walked from Fossebridge to Coln St. Aldwyns, which is very near Hatherop. Very pretty countryside.
Jul 13th, 2003, 11:25 PM

Actually, you can do it by public transport, if you're on a budget.

Train to Swindon. Bus to Fairford (six times a day. www.carberry.co.uk, then type in Fairford). Stay in Fairford: pretty, though the nearby base means there's a depressing number of military brats hanging round the town, bored (though generally well-behaved).
If cabs are a problem, Hatherop's about a two mile walk, and you can take public cross-field footpaths for a good deal of it to avoid the road. Try to get hold of UK Ordnance Survey map Explorer OL45, which has full details of all paths etc in the area. Use Carberry to check on other bus routes in the area.

Back to Fairford, bus to Swindon, train to Edinburgh. Swindon-Edinburgh is officially 6.5 hours, but the carrier (Virgin) has Britain's worst punctuality, with 20% of trains running more than 10 mins late.
Do check all these routes carefully, as timetables can change

Search this Thread