Train travel, southeast France

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Sue Maxwell

Train travel, southeast France

My husband and I are going to France for the first time in April. We plan to spend several days in the southeast. Should we stay in the hills - perhaps Vence- or on the seashore - perhaps Antibes? Any hotel recommendations either place? Also, in returning to Paris for our flight home, what's the best way to get from the southeast to Charles DeGaulle Airport?

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Joy

Some trains from Marsielle that stop in Avignon, etc. go to the
Charles de Gaulle train station. You can find which ones on the train schedules. Have a great time!!!

Mar 5th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Gail

Hi Sue - last May we stayed for a few days in Vence at the Villa La Roseraie, a charming small hotel: tel - (33)04 9358 0220, Fax - (33) 04 9358 9931. E-mail: [email protected]. Rooms were under $100 (breakfast extra)and very pretty though not fancy. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and we would definitely stay there again. We had a car to tour the area and west into Provence. I would take the TGV fast train back to Paris. Have a great trip!

Mar 5th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Capo

Hi Sue. If you want to stay up in the hills, I think Vence would be an excellent choice. However, if you want to stay on the coast, I'd recommend Nice over Antibes, unless, of course, you prefer the smallness of Antibes. Are you flying back to Paris, or taking the train? If you're flying, you'll arrive at Orly. From Orly, you can take a shuttle bus to Paris where you can catch the Metro/RER to Charles DeGaulle. If by train, you'll arrive at Gare de Lyon, and then you can take the Metro/RER to CDG.

Mar 5th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Heather

Will second Gail's recommendation for the Villa La Roseraie. Our room had a lovely view and the staff was terrific. The hotel has a nice pool area to swim and relax with a good book. We shopped in the markets and had a couple of evening picnics on the patio with our wine we bought in Alsace. The location is good for a trip to St. Paul de Vence.

The hotel's fax is 011 33 4 93 58 99 31. Our room rate was: Double with bath, shower and WC, room rate 650FF + breakfast, 70FF per person.

We stayed for 2 nights and three days in Vence, then went to Villefranche-Sur-Mer.

Please email me if you have any questions or would like more info.

Have a wonderful vacation!

p.s. Before Vence, we stayed in Provence (15 minutes from Gordes) and LOVED it. If you have a car, this is a terrific option, too.