Reload this Page >

train travel-need city accessable/between Venice & Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:57 AM
Marcie

After all your comments, we realize that 4 nights is too long in Milan. We're now considering leaving Venice (via train) and going to another city accessable by train for 1 or 2 nights, then leaving this city and ending up in Milan for 2 nights. Bologna and Verona have come recommended but are they accessable by train from Venice and then on to Milan? Any other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

Old May 26th, 1999, 12:51 PM
Mark Hinckley

Verona is on the direct Milan-Venice route (at least on train every two hours), but then so is Vicenza (Palladio's city of the classical Renaissance) and Desenzano del Garda (Gateway to Lake Garda and its fine and beautiful lakeside towns - you'd change frm train to steamer for places such as Sirmione and Salo).

Old May 26th, 1999, 08:11 PM
Tom

Dear Marcie, <BR> I would agree with Mark's suggestion; spend a few days in Verona. It has lots of interesting sights and beautiful churches. We were there last year for three days and really enjoyed it. you can walk from the train to the center of town easily.

Old May 27th, 1999, 09:21 AM
andrew

Verona is nice and worthwhile; but every attraction is closed on the same day (Monday). So on that day, theres nothing to do! Find out what day that is and don't go then.

Old May 27th, 1999, 04:24 PM
Kam

Verona is one of our very favorite northern Italian cities. Yes, you can walk from the station to downtown and the whole city is within walking distance.(unless you have heavy suitcases, in which case, taxis are available) Nothing can compare with the history, location, and legends of Verona.I highly recommend the 12 Apostoli restaurant-- Michelin stars but the charm of Italy. I like Verona far better than Venice! Please visit Romeo and Juilet's home town! Also, check to see if there's going to be an opera while you are there in the old Roman ampitheatre--out of this world! Milan is a large, sprawling post WWII commercial city with enough tourist interest to take up just 1 -1 1/2 days. Do check into seeing the "Last Supper" which has just been opened to the public after about 20 years restoration. It's in the Duomo. Also nice to spend the afternoon at the Sforza fortress. Enjoy.

Old May 29th, 1999, 12:14 PM
Dan

I agree with Mark. We needed a stopover from Venice to Milan, so we departed the train in Desenzano and took a short bus ride to Sirmione for a two night stay. As Mark says, you can also take a ferry. We stayed in a wonderful bed and breakfast hotel, Albergo Grifone. It was the most reasonably priced room we encountered during our entire 5 week trip through France and Italy.