Reload this Page >

Excursion from ROME to POMPEII

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 1998, 03:59 AM
Michele

Need fast recommendation for *which* tour company to book with for an overnight excursion to Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri, Anacapri, etc. The choices are American Express, Appian Line, Green Line, and Tour Crafters (found on the Web). I know we can do this on our own but we would prefer to hop on a tour as this will be toward the end of an independent 18-day journey through Italy. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old May 31st, 1998, 06:27 PM
Eileen

My husband & I just did the Rome to Pompeii tour about three weeks ago while visiting Rome. We used American Express, & while Pompeii is definitely worth the trip, we were not pleased with the tour itself. As it turns out, American Express uses a local co. that they apparently contract with. Our bus was dirty, uncomfortable, & our tour guide wouldn't let anyone eat or drink on board. Not normally a big deal, but it got difficult after being gone from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00p.m. with only one lunch stop! Also, most of these companies follow the same itinerary, & it is extremely touristy. The lunch stop is very tacky, with people selling you things while you eat. (Kind of reminded us of Mexico!). Be aware that none of the tour buses in Italy (at least that was what we were told!) have bathrooms on board. You are at the complete mercy of the bus driver. Anyway, I don't mean to turn you off a tour to Pompeii, because it was one of the most worthwhile things we saw in Italy. Just look around more at the various tours offered when you get to Rome, and really consider going on your own. It sure would have been more pleasant in our opinion. Good luck!

Old May 31st, 1998, 06:54 PM
Dayle

It's easy to go to Pompeii on your own. Just train from Rome to Naples, change to local train (Circumvesuvia - SP?) and get off at Pompeii Scavi. It's right there. There are various guided tours you can take once you're there. If you really enjoy history and architecture, plan on spending more than just a couple hours, more like a whole day -- it's big and amazing. Have a great time!

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:01 PM
Joanna

If you plan on doing Pompeii yourself by train from Rome make sure you leave quite early in the morning, as it takes about 2 hours to reach Naples, then another 40 minutes or so on to Pompeii via Circumvesuviana. Then there can be hordes of people at the ticket office at Pompeii - only 2 windows open when I was there and hundreds of German pensioners waiting to buy tickets. I was lucky to be staying at Sorrento, which is only about 20 minutes from Pompeii Scavi station.

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:06 PM
Joanna

If you plan on doing Pompeii yourself by train from Rome make sure you leave quite early in the morning, as it takes about 2 hours to reach Naples, then another 40 minutes or so on to Pompeii via Circumvesuviana. Then there can be hordes of people at the ticket office at Pompeii - only 2 windows open when I was there and hundreds of German pensioners waiting to buy tickets. I was lucky to be staying at Sorrento, which is only about 20 minutes from Pompeii Scavi station.

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:11 PM
Joanna

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:14 PM
Joanna

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:17 PM
Joanna

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 10:26 AM
Kam

I would never take a tour to Pompeii. Take the early am train from Rome---in Pompeii you can hire a "guide" for a few lire who will show you the sites. There's a nice restaurant right across the street from the main gate of Pompeii--eat there and enjoy a quiet ride back to Rome. You could, if you wanted, hire a car and driver in Naples to take you to Pompeii and wait for you then return you to the train station. The dollar is quite strong right now--spend a bit more and don't get stuck on a tour bus!! Ciao.

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 03:59 PM
tom

Having survived a two hour and 45 minute train ride each way, I would highly recomend an alternative. Try Ostia Antica, the ancient seaport near Rome (about 12 to 15 miles). It apparently is every bit as indicative of life during the same time period and much closer so that you don't have to spend a whole day on the road. If, however you choose to go to Pompeii, by all means hire a personal guide. They are well worth the extra money. You can take the book and wander, but the guide fills in all the details.

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 05:25 PM
kam

OK, if we want to consider alternatives to Pompeii, my second choice, smaller but better preserved and equally interesting is Herculaneum (Ercolano in modern Italian) Much closer to Naples--consult the tourist office in the Naples railroad station and hire a car and driver to take you to Herculaneum. It was a seaside resort of the wealthy Romans and suffered the same fate as Pompeii when Vesuvius erupted. You will encounter authorized guides when you arrive who will expect a tip in exchange for very knowledgeable guides to the town which include keys to some of the houses that are locked. Herculaneum is much smaller than Pompeii and you can spend less time there and still get a good feel for the history and tragedy of the eruption. PS. the train from Naples is only about 15 minutes to Ercolano, but I would pop for a car and driver---remember the dollar is strong and this might be your last chance!! Go for it!

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 09:07 PM
leslie

We took the American Express tour to Pompeii two years ago. It was a relief for us since we were exhausted from running around Rome for 3 days. I dont know how it is now, but I would be reticent to travel on my own to Pompeii via Naples. At the time strikes were an issue and I got the sense from the tour guide that Naples wasnt a great place to spend time. We stopped in Naples to let off the folks going to Capri and then went on to Pompeii. The tour included a stop at a cameo factory, but it wasnt prolonged. If you planned to buy something, you had precious little time to do it. Then it was on to a lunch (passable) and then to Pompeii. The tour of Pompeii was all too short, but our guide was exceptional. He explained Pompeii in a way comparing it with modern life and the similarities were very interesting. Sorrento was the next stop (along with a wood factory) and even that was enjoyable. They allowed enough time to at least get a sense of the town. If I went back, I would look for a longer tour of Pompeii and nearby Herculaneum. A few hours just didnt seem enough for the depth of history there.

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 01:39 PM
Lori

My husband and I took a bus tour to Naples, Pompeii, and Sorrento from Rome. We as a rule never take bus tours and did only out of sheer laziness. Never again!!! We used Carrani tours out of Rome. While I don't really have major complaints let me say this: The bus was very clean and the tour guide was knowledgeable. However, he would tell the same stories over and over in 7 different languages, therefore, never shut up!!! The tour was all day 7AM to 9:30Pm, when we finally asked the bus driver to drop us off not at our hotel, which was the last stop, but near the Trevi fountain so that we could get something to eat. Yes the tour included lunch at one of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten in in either Europe or the US. We did stop twice at a rest stop off of the highway that was very clean, but I swear was owned by someone's relative. Both times we spent 45 precious minutes waiting for the guide while he hung out with his friends there. We went right past the Abbey of Montecassino, only viewed it from the highway. Had we rented a car, we could have gone up the mountain to it and seen it. Naples was nothing more than a drive through, although it didn't look like a place I wanted to spend any time. In Pompeii, they took us to a 'Cameo Factory', which was nothing more than an expensive tourist trap with a 5 minute presentation on how cameos are made, and then on to the shop. The ruins were fascinating and the best part of the trip. However, our tour was 2 hours and you could definitely spend more time there. We figured if on our own, take the 2 hour tour and then spend 2 hours exploring on our own. Sorrento was lovely, but our trip was nothing more than a stop at another touristy shop. My advice, rent a car, to to Pompeii, tour the ruins, stay overnite in Sorrento, and go back to Rome the next day. On a bus tour, you will spend more time on the bus than anything else.

Old May 31st, 2000, 02:51 PM

Scott?