Train Travel - Inverness to Stirling

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Travel - Inverness to Stirling

Hi,
Are there any residents from either of these cities who might be able to tell me if I will be able to take a train from Inverness to Stirling (one way), on a Saturday, with no changes? And, if so, can I easily take a suitcase with me on the train? I've been looking online and I seem to find conflicting information about this. I'm not traveling to Scotland until next May, but I'm trying to devise an itinerary for my husband and I and we do not want to drive while we are there. We will be flying in and out of Edinburgh.
Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 05:35 PM

hi conialex

I'm in Glasgow and have checked the journey planner for this coming Saturday only because the timetable information for next May is not yet available. Nobody knows yet what will be available then but for 15th September there are five Inverness to Stirling services which are direct without changes. To give you an idea of the spread of them here's what's showing

Saturday 15th September
Departing Inverness 07.55 arriving Stirling 10.29
Departing Inverness 08.45 arriving Stirling 11.29
Departing Inverness 14.47 arriving Stirling 17.28
Departing Inverness 17.30 arriving Stirling 20.15
Departing Inverness 20.15 arriving Stirling 23.09

There is usually a rack area in each carriage for larger luggage and smaller overhead areas for hand-baggage size.

As it shows direct and indirect services between two destinations I tend to always use the National Rail journey planner and can recommend it. It's at: https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 05:56 PM

I was ready to reply, but billbar gave you excellent information.All you need to know.
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 07:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I've been looking online and I seem to find conflicting information about this.<<

I'm wondering where you are seeing conflicting info? That's a pretty straightforward itinerary. On the National rail site it shows which trains are direct (the ones billbarr listed) and which have transfers. The ones that aren't through direct change in Perth..

Do realize the schedule might change in the next 9 months. Currently the schedule is only up through Dec. 2.

>>And, if so, can I easily take a suitcase with me on the train?<<

Assuming it is reasonable size/weight -- sure. You'll have to lift it on to the train and possibly up and down steps in the stations. Assuming the lift at Stirling is completed by then, that will take care of that. The website for every station in the UK explains how accessible it is.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - and billbar your details are so helpful! I consulted some "apps" for the iPad/iPhone and that's when confusion began. I will rest assured that we can get between the two cities by train, so that we can stay a couple nights in each place. And now I know the best website to visit as the dates get closer.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 06:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I consulted some "apps" for the iPad/iPhone <<

Don't know what apps you are talking about, but there are apps and there are apps. Millions of 'em and some are basically useless. Just use the websites . . .
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by conialex View Post
Thanks everyone - and billbar your details are so helpful! I consulted some "apps" for the iPad/iPhone and that's when confusion began. I will rest assured that we can get between the two cities by train, so that we can stay a couple nights in each place. And now I know the best website to visit as the dates get closer.
You are very welcome conialex. I'm smiling here because I don't have apps or even a smart phone. The old trusty desktop works for me.

If I can mention one thing it is to look around you when you arrive at Stirling station. It's a wonderful example of architecture that has long gone and I know it has been used in some period TV and/or cinema productions.

Bill