Train travel in Italy

Sep 28th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Train travel in Italy

I am flying into Milan and traveling to Venice, Florence, and Rome and back to Milan. Does it make sense to buy a railpass in the USA prior to travel or should I just buy one travel leg at a time?
Sep 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM

From my experience, it's much cheaper to buy point to point tickets in Italy, you could buy all tickets at the first station. Besides, with railpass, it still costs money to make reservations as requested by IC,EC or Eurostar trains.
Sep 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM

A railpass is rarely cost effective in Italy and does not include the cost of seats which are required on most trains (all of the faster trains - AV/ES/ICPlus). The price between each of you cities is about 30-35€ 2nd cl(includes seat reservation) if purchased directly from the Italian train company, Trenitalia. Since the railpass wouldn't include your seat, you would have to pay an additional 20€ for AV trains, 15€ for ES trains on top of the pass price. 2nd cl is find for these trains. More room than on economy class in a plane.

If you want to check schedules/prices, enter your cities on Trenitalia, but enter a date within the next 7 days or the slower train/prices won't show up. I doubt you will want to waste time with the slower trains.
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I never knew to do that to get the slower train prices. Thanks for the tip, ky.

Search this Thread