Train travel in Italy

Search

Train travel in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train travel in Italy

I am spending 6 weeks in Italy with my kids and parents.- there will 6 of us.My main questions at the moment is about how to get around. Italy seems to have a vast train system...is it reasonably priced and seems easy enough to get from place to place. We are deliberating between using trains / buses or renting a car. Because of the children we are staying in one place for about a week at a time and planning on day trips e.g Pistoia for a week, Rome for a week etc etc. Renting a car would definitely be much easier and more convenient but I not having much luck in finding reasonable rental rates at this time - especially as the car/van needs to hold 6!! Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Did a lot of northern Italy a few years ago with 4 kids in tow. Use the trains !!! Way to easy and most stations are so central, more room in trains for kids to !!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 02:08 AM

If you do end up renting a car/van don't forget you will need to be able to fit everyone's luggage. The Italian trains are great and I think it's a much less stressful way to travel.

Hope you have a great time - how lucky, 6 weeks in Italy!!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 02:22 AM
ira

Hi HK,

Italian trains are cheap and reasonably reliable.

Italian auto rental is expensive, because you must buy the CDW. You will also need an IDP for each driver - see http://www.aaasouth.com/home.asp

You don't want a car in Rome, but there could be other parts of your trip where it would be useful. What's your itinerary?

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For most place I'd prefer the train, that way everyone can have space, move around, have snacks, read, look out the window, etc. A car is more confining. Though perhaps for getting to certain particular towns might be required?
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the trains !!
We have 3 weeks in Sardinia, 5 days in Rome and then a week in Pistoia. Following Pistoia we have about 5 days to get back to london to return to the States. My main concern was the time period between leaving Rome and the time in Pistoia...however so far, I have not been able to find a reasonable way to rent/lease a car. With 6 passengers + luggage we are moving in to the bigger vehicles. I am almost considering renting 2 smaller vehicles!
Has anyone got any info on Sardinia. We are staying there for 3 weeks in Bosa. I have a car for a week but then was going to rely on public transport..?
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Definitely stick with the trains whenever possible and avoid driving in Roma and Milano. Traffic in both of these cities can be very heavy and parking is a big problem.
Aloha and Buona Fortuna!
K