Notices

train travel in Italy

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:01 AM
dottie

train travel in Italy

Hi I'll be traveling one-way between cities: Milan-Florence, Florence-Rome, and lastly Rome-Naples. Need infor on fastest, and where to book in advance, here in states or in the city I'm traveling from?? I'll be flying into Milan, so I'd like to at least get that train booked in advance! Please anyone....Help!!!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:01 AM
Debbie

Dottie, You can call 1800 4-eurail and reserve that way or on their website. It is more expensive to reserve your tickets here but if it gives you peace of mind it is worth it.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:10 AM
Richard

You can also go to www.fs-on-line.com/ for the official website. It might have changed but you used to havee to enter the city names correctly, e.g. Milan-Milano, Florence-Firenze, Rome-Roma, Naples-Napoli, Venice-Venezia.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:14 AM
Richard

Forgot to mention, if your'e flying into Malpensa, the bus service will take you to the main station, Milano Centrale, the rail service does not.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:24 AM
deb

First time in Italy, Should I travel w/ as little as possible cash and purchase things w/ credit cards?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:54 AM
Dick

If you're a non-smoker, booking earlier will also improve your chances of getting a seat in a non-smoking car. We waited too long to book a Rome to Milan leg and had to accept seats in the smoker. We survived, but just barely.

I guess for smokers, the same would also be true, only in reverse.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:40 AM
dottie

thanks debbie, richard & Dick, I'll check out that 800# and the web site! If anyone else has any info please respond! this is a great way to learn from all fellow travelers! Thanks!!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:48 AM
Paulo

There's an Eurostar between Milan and Florence every hour, on the hour (roughly), and trip takes 2:47hours. The 2nd/1st class tickets cost Lit 53,700/80,900 today in Italy, including the mandatory reservation. There are also quite a few slower trains between hours. Unless you're travelling on a Friday, I for one wouldn't care to get things settled before getting there. Anyway, compare with what you'd be paying in the US and decide what's better for you.

There are plenty of Eurostar trains from Florence and Rome (roughly 2 every hour), trip taking a shade over 1:30 hours. Ticket prices are Lit 54,800/81,900 everything included. From Rome to Naples there's an Eurostar roughly every hour or so and trip time is under 2 hours. There are plenty of slower trains in between. Eurostar tickets cost Lit 42,000/62,800. I'd never buy tickets for these trips in advance. Do it in Italy as soon as you know when you'd want to travel.

Paulo

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Pat

We traveled from Venice to Florence on the train. The Eurostar was sold out, so we went on a regular train. We found out that we should have also reserved a seat. We had to sit in the aisle on pull down seats. Not very comfortable and people were wandering up and down the aisles. So get a reservation as soon as you get there, with a seat assignment. Had no problems on other trains, just the major city to city runs.