Notices

Train Travel in Germany

Jul 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Train Travel in Germany

We are planning a 2 week trip to Germany in the Fall. We are spending 3 nights in Hamburg, 3 nights in Dresden and 8 nights in Berlin. My question is can we take a direct train from Hamburg to Dresden and a direct train from Dresden to Berlin?

We aren't planning to purchase a German Rail Pass because we don't think it will be cost effective. We plan to purchase individual tickets for each one of the trips. We may be using the train for cities/towns near the cities we are staying in.

Another question I have is do we purchase our train tickets once we are in Germany or should we purchase them online before we leave home.

Thank you for any information you can provide.
Jul 3rd, 2015, 07:10 PM

Go to the German rail website www.bahn.com and register. Try out your itineraries and look at the choices. Book online in advance, 90 days if you can. It's a powerful website allowing you to book free stopovers and seats. Note that you will need to carry the ID you specify when traveling (I chose a credit card).
Jul 4th, 2015, 05:42 AM

There are often budget tickets available if you book far in advance (up to 3 months) but they are usually only for a specific train - and changing will be either a large fee or new tickets.

Bahn.de has all of the details you need - including where any changes are and how long you have to change.

Search this Thread