My wife and I are going to Europe towards the end of the year (December) for a month - this is our first trip! We have no idea about train travel, and are just seeking any help, advice and suggestions. We don't want to drive because of snow/ice etc...definitely aware it will be cold. We'll be travelling the following route via train:
- Paris to Lyon
- Lyon to Bern
- Bern to Grindelwald
- Grindelwald to Lucerne
- Lucerne to Freiberg
- Freiberg to Berlin (would like an overnight train if possible)
- Berlin to Amsterdam (would like an overnight train if possible)
(plane from Amsterdam to London)
- London to Paris
Open to all suggestions and help, but wondering what the best ticket to buy is (i.e. point-to-point), through who (i.e. seat61) and when. I've heard that 3 moths is a good time (i.e. now).
Thanks for any advice or help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 2 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 3 Which Area in London?
- 4 family trip to Germany and more
- 5 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 6 Trains - website?
- 7 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 8 Paris Apartment
- 9 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 10 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 11 Barcelona to Malaga
- 12 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 13 Milan airport--which one
- 14 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 15 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 16 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 17 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 18 1st time to Europe
- 19 Paris November 2017
- 20 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 21 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 22 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 23 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 24 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 25 St, Goar or Bacharach