Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Travel from Venice to Varenna (then onward by ferry to Bellagio)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have searched previous threads for train travel from Venice to Varenna, however most of them are old. So, with all the new trains I wasn't sure if there was a better option. I want to go from Venice to Varenna (then onward to my destination which is Bellagio/Lake Como area) and I want to find the most efficient route. Also, does anyone know of any certain websites for deep discounts? (for example, the tgv-europe website gave me deep discounts from Paris to Cannes thanks to Fodorites advice)

Also, going from Venice to Varenna requires a stop in Milan. What is considered enough time to transfer trains? Hopefully, nothing too long because it is already a long train ride! Thanks everyone....
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM

ttt
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Tahuya: You topped this <u>3 minutes</u> after Jill posted it??

OK - let me guess, this is your way to 'bookmark' the thread. A better way to do that is to use that gold/yellow star up at the top of the thread. That is for bookmarking/saving to your favorites.

Jill: I can't help w/ the Venice Varenna question, but you don't need to build in much time between trains. 10-15 minutes would be fine. I personally usually add a bit more, say 30 mins, just so I won't be rushed. But lots of folks make 5 min connections (too close for me)
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM

I don't know what you mean by "all the new trains" but from Venice, you will need to stop at Milano Centrale and change trains to Varenna. Varenna is one hour north of Milan. If you check the Trenitalia website and punch in Venice to Varenna, the times and prices include transfers to the appropriate train. Most rides are competed in four hours, which is not bad, considering the stop in Milan. It takes about five-to-ten minutes to transfer trains in Milano Centrale for this trip, depending on your baggage. The tracks for these two trains are fairly close to one another.

The ferry to Bellagio is about half-a-mile walk downhill from Varenna's train station. Many people make this walk without a problem. You can also take a taxi if you don't feel like walking. Many of the ferry choices stop at Bellagio. If you're a newbie, figuring out the ferry schedule can take some time. I purchase all my tickets in Italy. I can't help you with "deep discounts." Good luck.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

How far in advance can I buy tickets? Also, can I print my tickets from home? Also, will it ask me for my home country? If it does, will I have to put in Italy?