Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Travel from Venice to ? before flying home to Vancouver, Canada

Feb 23rd, 2014, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I will be returning to Vancouver from Italy and have a few extra days so thought to train it from Venice but not sure where to. I will need to fly home eventually from Europe and so want to travel in more westerly regions. I want to see countryside, wind down after Italy.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:45 AM
HKP

Switzerland. Easily reached by train from Milan, and lovely train rides, whether you head toward Interlaken or over toward Montreux.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:05 AM

Nice, France? You could fly home from there. It's a great place to visit, on the water with great food and pleasant atmosphere. And with easy day-trips to Antibes, or in,and.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, both of you. Great ideas! So Milan to Switzerland to Nice then home?
Would like to be on the train during the day so will probably overnight somewhere. . .
Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:22 AM

I think Switz (Zurich or Geneva airports) and Nice are meant as alternatives. You're not going to cover all that territory in a couple of days unless you do nothing but sit on a train.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
HKP

We went wanted to go to Provence from Venice and discovered you can't do it in one shot. So we took one train from Milan to Lausanne for one night. We then got back on a train to get to Lyon where we connected to the TGV train to Avignon.

It made us wish we had enough time to explore the entire stretch along Lake Geneva, but then we couldn't have done Provence.

You can look up train possibilities on RailEurope, but you'll have more usable planning maps if you Google "train maps Europe" or some such. Nice is possible as well as other places in the south of France, but so are various places in Switz. such as Geneva or Zurich.

You can fly from Venice or Milan directly to somewhere, but I really loved spending time on the trains.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 12:28 PM

I am recommending Venice to Nice. And I agree that trains in Europe are the way to go.

I don't know how long the train ride is, though I'd try to do it without an overnight.

We went Santa Margherita Ligure to Nice, changing trains once at the border. I think it took about 5 hrs.

How many extra nights do you have?
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:40 PM
HKP

Venice to Milan is 2 hrs. Milan to Nice is about 5 1/2 or 6 hrs. with 2 changes. Milan to Lausanne is the same (although there's one early train a day that's direct with no changes and is only 3 hrs. - but you'd have to leave Venice at a godawfully early hour to catch it.) Lausanne allows connections to international trains as well as local trains to areas around that area of Switzerland and along the north shore of the lake. Montreux is a little closer but still takes 2 changes - a pretty town.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:45 PM
HKP

Of course, Nice puts you within range of some lovely areas on the Riviera, including the charming town of Vence (think Chagall). We enjoyed the different pace and climate of S'land after an intense 3 days in Venice, but later would have enjoyed getting further toward the Mediterranean than Avignon. The scenery from Genoa to Nice is lovely, too (in a different way from the scenery from Milan to Lausanne).

Agree with Tabernash that the number of nights is a critical consideration. How many do you have?
Feb 24th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Are you sure Milan to Nice is 5 1/2 or 6 hours with 2 changes?
Feb 24th, 2014, 07:53 AM
HKP

You can check it on db.com or raileurope yourself. Maybe I missed something or maybe they came back with too narrow a time frame, but there seemed to be one change to get to the border and one at the border, more or less.