Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train travel from Paris to Civitavecchia - suggestions to save $ & time?

Old Oct 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Hello!

I booked a few nights in Paris 10/26-10/29 with the intention of going to Rome to catch a cruise at Civitavecchia port leaving 10/30. I thought the port and train station were much closer together but it looks like I need to take a train to Rome and another to Civitavecchi and now its getting expensive. I'm trying to save $ and time and its my first time there, any options I havent considered?.....

so far:
Option1
overnight train from paris to Rome on Eurorail ($350) but save on hotel for night
train via Italiarail.com from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia ($40)

Option 2
Flight from Paris airport to Rome ($350 plus travel to airport), hotel ($100ish)
train via Italiarail.com from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia ($40)

**I'm wondering is there anything that goes straight to Civitavecchia ?? And is it worth it to buy a metro pass for this to save $?

Thank you!!

Lily
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM

skyscanner.net fly CDG FCO cheap on the euroeconos booked

in advance less hassle than training...

Train Paris Nice Genoa La Spezia Pisa the port

seat61.com for details regional train is cheap hop on.

easyjet.com has flights from CDG but pretty close to your

flight will probably be more than train.

Good luck!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM

ryanair.com still has $108 one ways fron BVA to CIA non stop

10/29... Book quickly they will crank it up soon easyjet

already has they are 2-3 X as much... Bokem Dano!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM

seat61.com for details regional train is cheap hop on>

regional train from Paris to rome to c'vachia? First of all they do not exist and if they did it would take about a week

<Train Paris Nice Genoa La Spezia Pisa the port> Ignore this misinformation as though you could well go that way you would not get to Civ'vecchia until about 40 hours after leaving Paris! If you had several days that route may make sense.

The only rail route that makes sense timewise is the Paris-Rome direct night train.

go to www.voyages-sncf.com and see if you can score some nice discounts on that Paris to Rome Artesia overnight train - usually lots cheaper than $350 - but flying will probably be your best bet - www.whichbudget.com and skyscanner.net for lots of budget flights - also consider flying into Rome's Ciampano (sp?) airport as some budget airlines do.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM

I"m not sure what you mean by "Eurorail", that isn't the name of any rail company. But there is an overnight train from Paris Bercy to Rome, that will be the train option with the least connections (only that one in Rome).

There is no way in the world you are going to get a direct train from Paris to some podunk Italian port. The rails aren't even going to be the same requirements (high speed larger trains require different rails than small trains, and the first part starting in Paris will be on the TGV, and no French train is going to have as a destination some Italy cruise port. The only trains there will be from Rome.

I think you are confused as the term metro refers to local transportation within a city itself, called the tube in London or subway in some American places. Maybe you want to know if a Eurailpass would be cheaper? I haven't looked it up but given it is one trip and they are very expensive, I'd say that would be impossible, but you can check. I don't think they can ever be cheaper for only one trip.

That train ticket (the Paris-Roma one) only costs around 100 euro if you buy it from www.voyages-sncf.com, although it is nonrefundable. It is only 120 euro for more flexibility which is only around $160, not $350. So wherever you got that rail quote from is marking it up a lot, perhaps a travel agency like Raileurope?
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM

Fly
www.iberia.com/us
Iberia Airlines - Flight 5718 - 10/30/11
Depart - Paris, Orly @ 10:25 AM
Arrive Rome - FCO @ 12:25 PM
$133.52 USD incl taxes

Arrive at FCO and take
Limo or cab to Civitavecchia
Not cheap, but very quick and convenient.
Check with your cruise company to see if they offer a
Airport to Port shuttle or service.
If not check online for transfer companies, many have been recommended on these pages.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM

Metro is the local underground train system within Paris - has nothig to do with long-distance trains outside of the city.

I would not spend the night on a train unless you know you can sleep - and how many strangers would you have to share the compartment with?

Flying seems the obvious option.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM

Oh - and as for your cruise - be aware that many ports are nowhere near the city they serve. Taking a cruise really limits your time in europe and maximizes your time sitting on a big boat )which some people love).
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM

It will be more expensive, but you should really fly to Rome on the 29th. Why take a chance on missing your ship?
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM

Definitely fly from Paris to Rome. The cheapest way to get from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia is to take a regional train from the airport to Rome and another regional train from there to Civitavecchia.

Important question: What time do you need to be at Civitavecchia on the 30th?
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM

You should look at flying Easy Jet from Paris Orly (more convenient than CDG) to Rome if you don't have tons of luggage. It will likely be cheaper than the train and flight time is only two hours.

http://www.easyjet.com/asp/en/book/index.asp?lang=en

From Rome, you can easily train to Civitavecchia for less than 10€ and takes about an hour.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM

I wouldn't fly the day the cruise departs, but you might want that risk. Easy Jet departs Orly at 7:15 am and is 97€. It takes a bit longer (about 1 1/2 hours) to train from the airport to Civitavecchia than from Rome Termini, but there are still trains almost hourly.

>>>Option1
overnight train from paris to Rome on Eurorail ($350) but save on hotel for night
train via Italiarail.com from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia ($40)<<<<

You shouldn't price trains on reseller websites. The price of an R train from Termini is only 4.50€ while the most expensive train is only 13.50€. The R trains are more frequent.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Pay extra to take the Leoanrdo Exprees dedicated airport train to Rome's airport - direct and non-stop and first class only - actually one class but of first class amenities.

This train is designed for folks with lots of luggage - the cheaper R train takes a lot longer and can be crowded at rush hours and also has been at times in the pass the subject of warning to airport travelers about baggage thefts so be careful on the regional trains.

Regional train makes sense if you are near a train station with direct regional trains to the airport and some Rome stations are - but it Termini is not far away I highly recommend hopping the dedicated airport train over dumpier regional trains where overcrowding could occur and room for baggage is less accommodating.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM

PQ - Your post is not accurate. If the person was coming from FCO, it would be pointless and waste of time/money to take the Leonardo to Termini, change trains and backtrack to Civitavecchia. Leonardo isn't 1st class, it's more subway class. There are no 1st class amenities at all. The OP could simply take the local R train from FCO to Trastevere (runs every 15 minutes unlike the Leonardo which is only ever 30 minutes) and change for Civitavecchia. Termini is on the opposite side of Rome and no point going there.

As for trains to Civitavecchia, it does not make sense when someone is in a time crunch to hang around waiting for the much less frequent faster train. There are as many as 2-3 R trains per hour and only very random ESCity or IC trains. The so-called faster trains only save you 15-20 minutes. Certainly not worth passing up 4-5 R trains and wait a couple of hours to catch an IC.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 06:14 PM

FYI - The Leonardo is an R train.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:46 AM

bourbon - my comments were said if the OP was taking a train to Rome as they indicated in the OP - no not if they are flying to Rome.. You need a first class railpass to ride the Leonardo Express - why is that the case if it is not a first class train? Whether or not it is is is first class compared to the DUMPY dirty regional trains on the same line, which I have ridden many times and can confidently describe them as such.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM

kybourbon - I would not backtrack even to Roma Trastevere but would take a bus or a taxi to the coastal train line if that is possible - perhaps it is not but if there is some kind of public shuttle from the airport to Civitavecchia that would make more sense to me and perhaps be a whole lot quicker.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 10:06 PM

>>>You need a first class railpass to ride the Leonardo Express - why is that the case if it is not a first class train?<<<

No clue why you need a 1st class pass to ride a train that doesn't have 1st class. The Leonardo is a dumpy dirty regional train and looks just like the other dumpy dirty R trains (actually it's worse than some R trains I've ridden recently). There are some R trains that have 1st and 2nd classes. The Leonardo does not.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM

You must have ridden a whole different Leonardo Express than I did - I have taken the local trains and they are often stuffed full before there get to Rome and not all go to Rome Termini but perhaps all only go to Tiburtina - if so getting to Termini would require a change of trains too.

The actual train car may be similar but since the Leonardo Express don't stop before Termini at least folks will not be standing all over the car as I have experienced on the regional trains that stop at several stations and if I recall correctly do not even go to Termini. Bourbon will correct me on that is so - if not it means that is right that other regional trains do not go to Termini so you have to change someplace to another regional train to get to Termini.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 12:49 AM

PalenQ is correct in saying the Leonardo Express is *classified* as a 1st class train - and that's another way that Trenitalia "gouges" the traveler. Your 2nd class Eurail pass will not be valid on this train. In addition, all airport trains are outside the 2-zone Roma area covered by the ATAC tickets... so again, your Roma Pass or ATAC single-usage or multi-day pass is also NOT VALID heading to the airport. All cleverly positioned revenue-enhancers.

If you've ever been in an older Leonardo Express carriage, you'd realize that Trenitalia should be embarrassed to label these as a first class. kybourbon is correct - many of these trains are converted Regionale carriages. Fortunately, more modern trains are being added to the LE Line - Read this posting: http://tinyurl.com/FCO-LE

I've flown easyjet and Vueling options to and from Paris (CDG and Orly)and usually for under €100. Just depends how far in advance you buy.

If we come into the CIA Airport, we'd head for the Roma Termini station. We would ride either the SITBus shuttle or the Terravision bus from CIA to the Roma Termini train station. The price of the buses is €6 and €4 respectively. From Roma Termini you can ride the Regionale Trains to Civitavecchia for as little as €4.50. The IC and ES-City trains, which are far less frequent to Civitavecchia, are more expensive but do have reserved seating and you can buy your tickets online more than 7 days in advance - locking you in and perhaps saving you some money (see: http://tinyurl.com/tren-online and http://tinyurl.com/MINI-fare)

If we came into FCO, we'd ride the FR1 train to Roma Trastevere. These trains would perhaps be the most direct route. We'd jump on a Regionale FR1 train at the FCO airport and the cost to the Roma Trastevere station is currently €8. From this station, you can catch those SAME Regionale trains departing from Roma Termini (albeit 20 minutes later) and you'll pay €4.10 to ride to Civitavecchia. The IC and ES-City trains departing from Roma Termini DO NOT stop at the Roma Trastevere station. For more information on the FR1 Metropolitan train, read this posting: http://tinyurl.com/FR1-FCO

See these posts for info on the three train stations:
FCO Airport: http://tinyurl.com/FCO-trains
Roma Termini: http://tinyurl.com/roma-termini
Roma Trastevere: http://tinyurl.com/train-tras

You might also look at these two articles. Although geared to a round-trip cruiser, the maps and pictures can perhaps give you some insight into the route you'd take once you got to Civitavecchia. See http://tinyurl.com/civitavecchia and http://tinyurl.com/rome-civita .

I'd also join the crowd to tell you to fly, but like kybourbon, I'd be nervous flying on the day of my cruise. There are just so many variables to travel now. And why not spend a night in Rome! You'll get to see Rome at night... like this: http://tinyurl.com/rome-night

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO