train travel from Florence to Rome

Feb 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

train travel from Florence to Rome

I'm trying to buy round trip tickets from Florence to Rome for a weekend (Thurs-Sun). What would be a good price?? I want to leave from Santa Maria Novella in Florence, not one of the farther-out stations, and am having trouble finding tickets cheaper than 35-40 euro. Is this as good as it will get?

On a slightly different note, there are Regionale Veloc train options on trenitalia that are listed at 30 euro rather than 45, like the rest of the fares, but when I try to select it, I get an error message on the website saying it isn't a purchasable option. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

Thanks!
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Regional tickets can't be purchased more than a week in advance online at Trenitalia. There is no point buying R tickets in advance as there are no discounts and no reserved seats. R trains often take much longer on this route where the fast AV train is only 90 minutes.
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:28 AM

To more easily search discount tickets on the faster trains between Florence/Rome, use this Trenitalia link.
http://www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index...003f16f90aRCRD

You must enter the Italian spelling of the cities (it will start to autofill and you can then select the station you want). You can see the discounted mini-fares easier as they show on the first train screen that pops up. It also lets you search a multi-day window for cheapest fares.

The link aboce will not show the slow R trains. If you want to see prices for the slow R trains, use the regular Trenitalia link and enter a date within the next 7 days.
Feb 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM
GAC

The one-way fare for the unreserved regionale veloce train between Florence SMN and Roma Termini is only 17.15 Euros! The reserved Intercity train costs 30 Euros, the Frecciarossa/Frecciargento costs 45 Euros (both "base" rate fares, "MINI" fares are lower).

There are no "MINI" fares for the unreserved regionale trains.
If you hunt around, you'll find "MINI" fares as low as 19 Euros on the Frecciarossa/Frecciargento train! Use this website:

www.lefrecce.it

Search this Thread