Search

Train Travel for a Rookie

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Travel for a Rookie

Greetings from Ohio!
My husband and I are planning a trip to Germany in July for our 10 year anniversary (see other post "Germany in July").
We are going to be taking a 6:22 am train from Salzburg to Garmich that has a connection in Innsbruck. The time for our transfer is only 8 minutes.
(Link: http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/po...nY=0&nC=0&nS=0)

My husband and I have never taken a train before - in fact, I just took my first subway ride last October!- so we are not familiar with train stations in any way, and have no idea what to expect.

We are confident that the rail system folks know what they are doing and would not make this a travel option if it was not possible to make the connection. We also know that the train schedules are VERY reliable, but we would like to hear your advice (more like reassurance!) on the subject.

Specifically -
Is anyone is familiar with the train station in Innsbruck and/or has made this connection themselves?
Can a couple of first-timers handle this fast connection?
Will there be someone or something to look for that says "Your connecting train is over here!"
Will our bags be with us at our seats, or will we need to find them in a luggage car?
If the first train is late and we miss our connection, what do we do?

Thanks in advance, we are probably worrying more than we need to, however we want to be prepared travelers.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM

Hi Dietrich:

I've been to the train station in Innsbruck, and it's not huge. I think you'll be fine with an 8-minute connection. Be advised that Innsbruck is apparently a high-crime-activity station per Bank of America. I'm also a US Citizen, and after using my debit card for something there, they froze it. In fact, it happened to my boyfriend's card too through his credit union. It was very strange, but when we finally got someone on the phone, they told me that the Innsbruck station is flagged as a high-crime station, hence why they blocked my card. This likely won't be an issue for you since you'll be passing through quickly, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

As for connecting, you'll just have to check the monitors to see which platform your next train is leaving from. And as for bags, it's hard to say. There are small luggage compartments inside each car near the doors, but they fill-up fast, especially if the train is full. If your bags are small enough, they can be put overhead, not unlike on an airplane. But yes, you have to grab them and go.

Hope this helps, and have so much fun on your trip...sounds great
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM

For clueless types to learn the ins and outs of European trains i always refer to some great sites with lots of objective info: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com - many of your questions will be covered on those sites that form a great primer to using European trains.
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

Go here for schedules in all of Europe - a very user friendly site - it should even give you the platform numbers in Innsbruck you first train comes in on and other train leaves from. Once in Innsbruck if you miss the first train with 8 mins connection then there will be another one at least within an hour so you will not be stranded (plus like kylie says Innsbruck is not a huge station anyway - may well be from one platform to an adjoining one IME.
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM

>Will there be someone or something to look for that says "Your connecting train is over here!"

The conductor is the first person to ask about this. S/he will know which track you arrive at and which track the connecting services leave from. Innsbruck HBf is a mid-sized station (5-6 platforms maybe) and you won´t be confused when you are there.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM

In a train your luggage is yours - to carry up onto the train, find a place for, keep track of and get toff one train and onto another.

Have never done this transfer, but no - there won;t be anyone there telling you what to do. There will be a board with the outgoing trains listed by track and you will need to make your way quickly off one train (have your luggage at the door as the train pulls in), get to the other track (may involved going up or down ramps) and hoist it up into the next train. (Many trains in europe have 3 narrow steep steps from the platform to the train - so make sure you can each easily carry your own luggage up several steps. Also - large bags may need to be turned sideways to get through the door and down the aisle.

A small wheelie/carry-on will usually fit in overhead racks. Large bags will not (and would be dangerous, might fall off - so they have to go under your seat or between seats o r in an empty space at the end of the car.

Do not take any more luggage than you can easily pick up and carry walking briskly for at least a block. (Yes, we take more luggage than that, but we do road trips - or, if there's one long train trip we do First - which gives you more room for both you and your bags.
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM

According to the Deutsch Bahn site, the train from Salzburg "usually" arrives on platform #3 at Innsbruck and the train to Garmisch "usually" departs from the platform #21.

I don't always count on finding a conductor on the platform to tell you the real track (Gleis) #.

I would first ask the conductor who comes around checking your ticket on your Salzburg-Innsbruck leg for the "scheduled" track (Gleis) #.

In order to use the digital/posted schedule, you have to know the final destination of the train you are taking to Garmisch. I think that train usually goes to Munchen, but you need to check.

Before hopping onto the train, there is a note on/near the door indicating the final destination plus major stops on the way.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I've done this very transfer last year. As greg posted earlier you arrive on Gleis (platform) 3 and must pick up the next train on track 21. Believe me, you will need to HUSTLE to get to your next train. Gleis 21 is on the other side of the station. The train to Garmisch is on another track that runs up and over the mountain into Germany (a beautiful ride). If you miss your connection, I believe the train runs every 2 hours. Good luck!
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM

A good site for getting you educated on European trains is http://tinyurl.com/eym5b.

I agree with greg that you should ask the conductor on the first leg of your trip. Conductors are not plenty on platforms and if you find one he or she may be helping someone else. The conductor checking your ticket on the train has plenty of time, knows it all, and is always very helpful. Also, if trains are delayed platforms can be changed at the last minute.

You always stay with or near your luggage. Before the train reaches Innsbruck you will see travelers gather up their belongings and go to the door ready to jump off as soon as the train stops. Do likewise. I have used the Innsbruck station but not for short connections. In my opinion it is a rather small station.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Your responses are most helpful and the links are GREAT! I am learning a lot about train travel, for sure.
I'm feeling more confident about the short connection, but it is still a bit stressful.
We will ask the conductor on the train for assistance before arriving in Innsbruck, that is a helpful tip!
We are going to have a back up plan, just in case, and gather the ticket information for the next train as well as how to pick up our rental car the following day (the rental car company will be closed by the time the next train arrives). Better to over-plan, right?
Thanks again everyone! I'll keep checking for other suggestions! Fingers crossed!
-D
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Print a copy of the train schedule that lists all of the stops and make sure you know the stops that are immediately before yours so you know when to gather you luggage and be ready to get off the train quickly. Depending on which car you are in, you may have to walk/run the full length of the train to get to the walkway to your next track. As others have said, you may need every one of those eight minutes to make your connection so just be aware. But, it's not the end of the world if you miss your connection - half the fun of travel is the unplanned events where you may get to see something you never would have experienced if you stayed on your original itinerary!
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Do you plan to travel via Innsbruck on purpose?
If you went via Munich on Sunday 7/19, you would save a ton of money because you could use the Bayern-Ticket (Bavaria rail pass) for €28 for the two of you.
The first reasonable connection will depart Salzburg at 7.09 and arrive in Garmisch around 11am, and needs only 10min more than your original routing via Innsbruck.
Which time will your rental car company close?
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Of course the Bavaria Pass is not valid on the faster trains so keep that in mind - board an express train with the pass and you will be considered riding without a valid ticket - be careful which trains you board if using the Bavaria Pass.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:48 AM

"We also know that the train schedules are VERY reliable"

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you in that regard. Trains are delayed pretty often, especially 5-10 minutes around rush hour. If the train is delayed, tell the conductor that you have a close connection. Sometimes the other train can wait.

But if there isn't a special reason to go via Innsbruck, you could take a connection with a change in Munich. From there trains to Garmisch go more frequently (at least once an hour).

Have fun !