Please Recommend Accommodations in Brighton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I want to stay in Brighton (UK) on the nights of May 2-3, departing from Gatwick on May 4 early afternoon. Please provide recommendations for a good hotel or other accommodations. Budget is not a big issue, but I would prefer to keep it under 100 GBP per night. We will be driving. How long a drive time should I expect to Gatwick on May 4? An hour or so?
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

ttt ... rescued from level 158. Not a single recommendation for this (I though!) relatively popular city? Any help, greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:46 AM
P_M

I bet you'll get some answers today. When you posted yesterday it was 11:43pm in the UK, therefore many of our British posters had already turned in for the night. I have received tons of good info from Janis and all of our good British posters, so you will get some ideas soon.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM
P_M

TTT
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:38 AM
P_M

Maybe I was wrong.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:32 PM
vcl

It's been years since we stayed there and I have no idea of the current prices, but the Olde Ship Hotel was quite a treat. It's been a hotel since Charles II, last underwent major modifications sometime in the last century. The rooms were comfortable, the baths relatively luxurious, and the service delightful.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, P_M, for trying to get me some responses, and, vcl, for the one-and-only. After finding this at the 136th level and headed downward, I made reservations at the Brighton Thistle (though the Ole Ship Hotel looked like a good, but somewhat more expensive, choice). Maybe Brighton has become so popular that nobody goes there anymore! Or maybe it's so good that nobody is telling! In any case, I will know in a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:15 AM
vcl

We've enjoyed tea at the Brighton Thistle. Hope your acommodations live up to that experience.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Bo Jack,
As you have made a reservation this posting is probably too late but I have just come across it.

The best hotel is the Hotel du Vin in Ship Street but I am not sure about the cost. Do go there for a meal though as it is supurb.

The Jarvis is on the seafront overlooking the old Pier and would be within your price range.

The Grand and the Metropole are also on the seafront but again they may be too expensive.

Another option is the Courtlands Hotel, The Drive, Hove.

Brighton & Hove are almost one and the walk along the seafront to Brighton takes about 30mins and is a lovely walk on the flat. You might even see Paul McCartney and his wife Heather walking there with their baby Beatrice (they live in Hove).
The other advantage of the Courtlands is that they have free parking.

Brighton to Gatwick takes about 30 mins by car but allow a little bit extra for the traffic conditions.

Enjoy Brighton - I love it
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Minor trip report: We stayed at the Brighton Thistle. Well located and within easy walking distance of both the Pier and the Royal Pavilion. Cost was 84 GBP per night, with parking in an underground garage being 15 GBP per day extra. We were quite satisfied. Both the common areas and the room was well maintained, large and comfortable. Corridors going to the room are dark and in need of refurbishment, but I would stay there again. Although we were there only two nights (one full day) -- we did enjoy Brighton and hope to go there again. The Royal Pavilion is well worth a re-visit; and the museum across the way from it is also quite nice. Friendly people, good food, good weather -- a very pleasant experience.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:53 AM
P_M

Thanks for the update, bojack. We are going to the UK and we are considering spending our last night in Brighton instead of a Gatwick hotel Can you tell me how long the drive was to Gatwick? Also, please tell me a little more about the Royal Pavillion, like what makes it so interesting. Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM

The extravagant, domed Royal Pavilion was built by George IV when he was still Prince Regent. He and Parliament engaged in many battles over the cost, but it is a splendid edifice. The dining room--where ladies were not allowed to dine with the Prince, as he had no hostess there--features an enormous bronze (?)chandelier in the form of a dragon, and the music room is fabulous (Prinny liked to give musicals and concerts). Some of the many bedrooms have lovely Chinese wallpaper, and there are lovely pieces of Egyptian-style furniture that was popular during the Prince Regent's time.

Don't miss it!
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

PM -- The drive from Brighton to Gatwick was about 45 minutes, leaving Brighton at 9:30 AM on a Wednesday morning. HOWEVER, once we got to/near Gatwick we had lots of trouble finding the Sixt Rental Car place (we had picked car up in Southampton and Sixt map and written directions were not real clear). We were glad to have an extra hour PLUS a working cell phone. Finally we just parked at a place where someone from the Sixt Office could find us; and we followed him back to the rent-car drop off.
The Royal Pavilion is a fairly ornate "vacation place" built primarily by George IV in the 1790-1820 time frame. It has a somewhat over-the-top oriental theme with most of the furnishings, object d'art and "curiosities" being the original items and well presented. Although you (obviously) are not allowed to touch the objects, you can get a real close-up look at them. And there is a lot to look at. It's not "fine art" but it is interesting, gaudy and fun. It would be possible to breeze through the pavilion's two floors in about an hour; but it also would be possible to spend an hour in only the kitchen and not be bored. Plus, you can get a good close-up view of the royal potty used by Queen Victoria who did not like the place and eventually sold it to the city of Brighton. There is a nice little tea shop on the second floor, also.
If you spend only one night, try to arrive early so you have time to poke around the Lanes cafe/shopping area and also get over to the Pier and the beach front. As I said in my earlier short report, the Brighton museum is well worth a look (plus the price is right -- free). Little of it is "culturally important" but lots of it is fun.