Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Travel Berlin, Prague, Krakow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-travel-berlin-prague-krakow-1137974/)

mrsgo Oct 22nd, 2016 07:10 AM

Train Travel Berlin, Prague, Krakow

Thanks so much for helping us with transportation and train concerns. We are planning to fly from the eastern coast of the USA and visit Berlin, Prague, and Krakow. We understand that we can not get a direct air flight home to/ from Krakow. We are not sure of the most practical order to book these cities.

IF we take a train, what is the difference in quality of service and accommodations between first and second class? AND do the overnight sleeper cars all have private bathrooms/ sinks etc? Will we truly feel rested , upon arrival, if we take a 10 - 12 hour train trip?

Might you also suggest a practical fourth city to visit if we must stop somewhere in order to get a flight home?

Your assistance is very appreciated!!!
Suzy

traveller1959 Oct 22nd, 2016 08:00 AM

>> Will we truly feel rested , upon arrival, if we take a 10 - 12 hour train trip? <<

Not at all.

The noise alone will prevent you from sleeping.

>> AND do the overnight sleeper cars all have private bathrooms/ sinks etc? <<

Only in First Class. And expect everything being tiny, cramped and low-quality.

>> what is the difference in quality of service and accommodations between first and second class? <<

For regular (non-sleeper) trains, you have about 20 per cent more space (three seats in a row instead of four), you have more electrical outlets and first class is much quieter (business people are travelling first class while families, school classes and bowling clubs travel second class).

If I were you I would fly. Most flights from Krakow to Berlin have a connection via Düsseldorf, but it is still much faster than the train. And if you book early, flights are VERY cheap. Try Eurowings and Berlogic.

colduphere Oct 22nd, 2016 08:11 AM

The Man in seat 61 has provided you some info on your other thread. But in case you end up going Krakow-Prague on the overnight train ... we did this in March. We had two separate three bed compartments (there were five of us). Washbasin only.

I would say we all found the sleeping to be fine, but that of course is a personal reaction. And it is an interesting experience. The issue is what to do when you arrive in Prague at 6:38 am. Of course there are answers to that question. You just have to figure them out. :)

http://www.seat61.com/trains-and-rou...w-by-train.htm

PalenQ Oct 22nd, 2016 08:13 AM

IF we take a train, what is the difference in quality of service and accommodations between first and second class? AND do the overnight sleeper cars all have private bathrooms/ sinks etc?>

Some good sources- yes www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com will tell you loads about your questions.

Very few overnight trains have private bathrooms -nearly none but may have a sink in private rooms. Few trains have showers on them.

Christina Oct 22nd, 2016 08:51 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking about a fourth city if you must stop somewhere to fly home. Can you clarify what that means. Why couldn't you fly home from Krakow, there are plenty of flights. Of course you won't get a nonstop flight, but it will connect somewhere in Europe. I know there are regular flights through Paris and probably London and AMS and BRU and VIE. You say you know you can get a direct flight home from Krakow, which surprises me, as I don't think there are any to any city in the US.

If you are asking where can you go easily that will let you fly nonstop home to the East Coast, it's hard to say without knowing where, as JFK would have most options.

Warsaw is easy to get to from Krakow by train, and doesn't have its charm but is fascinating for WWII history buffs as it has several excellent museums. You can fly from there to JFK nonstop. Vienna isn't too hard to get to from Krakow, either, a bit longer train trip and has nonstop flights to JFK and IAD.

WoinParis Oct 22nd, 2016 09:19 AM

I agree with traveler that flying is a very good option.

I disagree that 1st class is quieter.

I always take second class as a rule and venture in 1st from time to time (like yesterday when trains were full in 2d).

As for noise, I don't see much difference and you might meet nice looking businessmen with nice ties who will spend hours on their phone literrally yelling. In that case I prefer schoolchildren.

Btw, is it an urban legend ? I take the train about 100 times a year and meet schoolchildren about every 4 years.