Venice, Florence, Rome post cruise visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going on a 7 day Greek Isle cruise with 2 other girl friends in early October 2014. Post cruise we're venturing out on our own to Venice, Florence and ending in Rome. We'll probably stay a night and a day in each city and traveling by train. I've been to all three cities before but my friends have not. I know it's a short stay in each place, but it's what we've decided to do. I think I can hit the major points of interest in each city. It will be condensed, but we should be nice and relaxed after the cruise and ready for some independent sight seeing. Can anyone suggest hotels in each city especially considering three in a room? I've travelled by train from Florence to Rome and don't recall any issues. Are there any train issues we should be aware of (schedules, fares, delays, etc.)? Also are there any airport fees in Rome that we should know about? Can we pay those fees by credit card? Any additional information is greatly appreciated, Judy
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 09:45 PM

"A night and a day in each city" = "one night in Venice, one night in Florence, one night in Rome"? Wow....I would leave this for others to comment. I am speechless...

Train issues? Not schedules, fares, delays. You have to deal with schedules and fares. Since these are high speed trunk lines, there are usually no major delays. The train issue would most likely the luggage. If you stereotype cruisers, you will probably be laden with huge luggage. It would be a hassle to get to get on, store, and get off the trains.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 10:09 PM

Does your cruise finish in Venice? If so, then what you are suggesting has some merit. And I agree that luggage may be a problem. But it can't be helped.

Venice to Florence is about 4 hours on a high speed train, so there goes most of that day by the time you get from your hotel to the train station and then replicate that in Florence. If you think you will need something to eat on the train, then buy a panini at the train station. The food on the trains isn't great and it's relatively expensive.

In Venice we stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo, which might be good for you as it's really, really close to a vaporetto stop, as well as being a nice hotel. No idea if they have triples, but if you email them they will reply fairly promptly. www.alpontmocenigo.com.

Florence to Rome is about 90 mins on a high speed train so that's not so bad. You can have a tiny taste of each city and then start planning a return trip

Can't help with hotels in Florence or Rome, sorry, we stay longer and book apartments.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We have definitely discussed luggage issues and each of us promise to pack lighter (oh well; we'll see). It will be each man for himself with the luggage! The cruise port is Venice and we plan to arrive 4 days early to acclamate and tour. When we disembark, we'll head to the train station. Our time in Florence and Rome will actually be a longer than originally stated. We have travelled together and independently so understand the hassles. I've visited all three cities and the other friends recognize this will be indeed a 'taste of Italy'! I want to do as much planning as possible to save time. Other comments are greatly appreciated. Judy
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 03:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The fast train from Venice to Florence is a little over 2 hours, not four.

>>>Also are there any airport fees in Rome that we should know about?<<<<

Why would there be? An odd question.

As for luggage, you are on your own getting it on and off the train (narrow steps).

With such a short stay in Florence, I would stay somewhere near the train station (walkable), but towards the historic center. I've stayed at the B&B Alloro which is between the station and Duomo, but it's small and might not have what you need. Are you planning to each get a room or do you need a triple?

http://www.allorobb.it/
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 04:21 AM

<< Also are there any airport fees in Rome that we should know about? >>

Departure fees are included in your plane ticket price and are paid in advance. You can check your ticket for the amount of the fees you pay.

I seem to remember that European cities used to have departure fees that were paid upon check in, independently of the plane ticket.

<< Are there any train issues we should be aware of (schedules, fares, delays, etc.) >>

I don't consider schedules and fares an issue. Delays, for reasons other than strikes, would not be known this far in advance. You can look at schedules on http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml which is an easy site to navigate.

Fares can be seen on trenitalia.com
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 04:30 AM

I have stayed at Hotel Il Bargellino in Florence in a triple. (http://www.ilbargellino.com/) The room was a nice size and the owners very nice. It is about a 10 minute walk to train station (we had carry-on size luggage) and to major sites (e.g., duomo area).

For a short stay, I would find a compromise between proximity to train station and to major sites. With three people, you may as well split cost of taxi, especially if you have larger, awkward luggage.

A good site for finding triple rooms is booking.com. You can specify rooms for 3 adults and also specify areas of the city (e.g., Campo dei Fiori). The hotels are reviewed by guests who have stayed there.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 04:32 AM

Sorry, my reference to Campo dei Fiori was for Rome. I like Pantheon/Navona/Campo dei Fiori for Rome visits. But others also recommend Spanish Steps area.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Several years ago, I had to pay an airport fee in Greece. The payment had to be in drachmas. We weren't prepared and were digging through pockets to pay the fees. I've only experience that once.

Again, thanks for all the replies,
Judy
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the correction kybourbon, I might have been thinking of Rome to Venice.
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

We're getting closer. I convinced my friends to omit Florence and forget the rental car. Our hotels in Venice and Rome are booked as well as most transports. We're all committing to smaller luggage and understand each is responsible for their own luggage; of course we'll help each other if we can.

Now for the train ride. I know to go to the SL station. Has anyone gone from the ship terminal to the train station? How did you get there? How long did it take once you were off the ship?

We plan on first class tickets. I don't think it necessary to buy in advance, but one friend wants to. Any opinions on that? If we buy in advance, are the tickets for a particular time? If we miss that time, can we change the reservation at the train station?

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome,
Judy
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 11:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are using Trenitalia trains, you can book 120 days in advance on Trenitalia.

If you are using Italo Treno (they arrive at a different station in Rome), you can book 6 months in advance (or through the end of current summer schedules which end 2nd weekend in Dec.).

>>>If we buy in advance, are the tickets for a particular time? <<<

Yes, if you buy on the faster trains as you are buying a specific seat on a specific train. Only the slow regional trains are not time specific (exception: some airport regional trains).

If you want to be able to change your ticket, you need to book full fare tickets, not economy or supereconomy. Even at full fare, tickets would have to be changed before the train departs.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 12:47 AM

As a compromise, you may also stop for a few hours in Florence on you travel day to Rome. Store luggage at Florence train station and walk to Duomo area to spend a few hours.

You will have to buy train ticket for Venice to Florence ( pre-purchase or walk-up, you decision). And when ready to leave Florence, buy train ticket to Rome at Florence station. This way you are free to wander in Florence without stress.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 04:58 PM

This is a tactic I've used twice on med. cruises followed by stays in Rome. It's the best/easiest way I've found for dealing with the excess cruise baggage dilemma. I pack "disposable" clothes in a "disposable" suitcase for the cruise and the rest of my wardrobe in a carry-on. For the flight over I wear a comfortable outfit with good walking shoes that's the basis of my "land" wardrobe and check one bag. In my carry-on I have another 3-4 days of clothes appropriate for around the city.

In a second bag I bring clothes appropriate for a cruise, including capris, tops, dresses, a pair of strappy shoes, etc. I bring clothes I like, that are in good condition, but that I won't miss when they're gone. My sister teases me about my "disposable" underwear, but that's all I toss. I leave the suitcase (or duffle) with the cabin steward if he/she wants it and tell them the rest is there to go through or toss as they see fit. This has worked for me to get around excess baggage fees and to not have to struggle with extra bags on the streets of the city. Hope this helps in your planning and travels. Have a wonderful time!
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Back from the trip and thought I would close out with a few comments. I'll keep the comments to the land portion only. Flight to Venice was uneventful and on time. We took a water taxi form the airport to hotel. Actually, my travel agent arranged that for a cost of 295.00 which was a total rip-off. It's quite easy to find a water taxi for a much cheaper cost. Our hotel was located close to the train station and the ship terminal. We dropped the bags at the hotel and took off site seeing. Thank goodness we had a first floor room since there are very few hotels with elevators in Venice. We took the water bus to Murano, ate gelato, came back to Venice for a nice outdoor meal, did some shopping, rode a gondola and went to sleep. Next morning took a water taxi to St Mark's square and the Basilica. The water taxi was 60 euros one way; sort of pricey but you have to visit there. Arriving back at our hotel, we walked to the ship terminal and found the people mover and several porters standing around, so we arranged to have our bags picked up. No problems getting to the ship and starting the cruise. On our return to Venice, we took a cab instead of the people mover to save time. Remarkably, the same porter was standing there when we arrived. He took our bags to the train station. It was very simple to purchase a ticket to Florence and we managed our bags quite well. I had a 24" bag and a back pack. I packed everything I needed for Florence and Rome in the back pack and never opened the suitcase post cruise. At someone's suggestion, we checked our bags in Florence. It was simple to find the place to hold bags. We took one of the on and off buses to get highlights of the city. The line to the Academia Gallery was long, but worth the wait to see the statue of David. We visited the Duomo but here was just not enough time to visit the Uffizi Gallery or anything else. The on off buss gave us the city highlights.... This was my third trip to Florence and was a bit too rushed for my taste, but my friends were happy for the time there. We easily picked up our bags and purchased tickets to Rome. We arrived at our hotel after 11pm and crashed. The two full days in Rome were rushed but not too bad. Again, we took the hop on and off the bus. The only two things we missed on our list were the Pantheon and Spanish steps. This was my second trip to Rome and I found such a difference with the crowds. We had a guided tour for the Sistine Chapel and Basilica and I'm glad we did. On my first trip to Rome, the Sistine Chapel had no lines or crowds and was so reverant. This time the crowds were horrid and the guards were constantly yelling SILENCE! Not the experience I was expecting. Rome is a gorgeous city. The Trevi fountain was closed for repairs so I couldn't throw in coins to ensure a return visit one day, but one can only hope. As an added bonus, we were able to see the Pope on Sunday. I'm not catholic, but it was quite amazing to hear him speak.

So, if you want to see Venice, Florence and Rome, in five days it's doable, but you don't have much time to stop and 'feel' the city. For me it was not such a loss since I have spent more time in all three cities. My friends wanted a flavor of all three and to hit the highlights, so that's what we did!

I know I created two posts on the same topic (shame on me!), so I'll post final comments in both posts.

Thanks for all the advice and comments. If anyone has questions, please ask.

Judy
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 03:50 AM

>>Actually, my travel agent arranged that for a cost of 295.00 which was a total rip-off. <<

That's an understatement. (She probably got a 50% commission.) Cross that TA off your list for your next trip.

Congratulations on a successful trip.