Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   train to bus in Perugia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-to-bus-in-perugia-877556/)

zola Feb 11th, 2011 04:12 PM

train to bus in Perugia

One of my options traveling late this month in Italy, is to go to Perugia from Rome. Once I arrive at the train station at Perugia, will I need to grab a bus from there to get to city center? If so, is there a particular route or line?

as well, any suggestions for moderate or budget hotel in Perugia historic center is welcomed.

Graizie, Z.

zola Feb 11th, 2011 04:21 PM

ooooooops! sorry about the mis-spelling of grazie above. I just noticed the typo. Z

Jean Feb 11th, 2011 05:29 PM

You can take the Minimetro from the train station up to the city center. There are also buses or taxis.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/umbria/mini_metro.htm

How much is a "moderate or budget" hotel to you?

zola Feb 12th, 2011 06:16 AM

jean:

Thanks. 50 euros or less for a single. Z

zola Feb 12th, 2011 06:30 AM

Jean: 2nd reply- I also just checked out your web reference for the mini-metro. Great!! Looks convenient. Easy to find, too?? thanks again. Z

Holly_uncasdewar Feb 12th, 2011 06:37 AM

In Perugia, be sure to get off at the Fontivagge station, NOT Porta San Giovanni, which is on the outskirts. If you choose to take a bus up the hill, you can catch any one of several outside the train station - just get on one that says Piazza Italia on the front. Buy the ticket (1 E. or so) at the green kiosk on the left just outside the station.

zola Feb 12th, 2011 07:24 AM

Holly: Thanks, but I'm getting a bit confused. Is the Fontivagge station the one where the FS trains from Rome stop? Can I take the mini-metro from there to the city center or must I take a bus (thanks for that info, tho)? Once I leave Perugia (either on my way back to Rome or on to Florence) do I also go back to the Fontivagge station for that train?

Other information I have found indicates that outgoing trains must be boarded at the Sant'Anna station. Is that only for the alternate private FC line?

All info very much appreciated.

Holly_uncasdewar Feb 12th, 2011 07:55 AM

I just looked at two different trains from Rome to Perugia, and neither one said what station the final Perugia destination is (they used to show the name of it), they only say that it stops at P. San Giovanni a few minutes before. I'm assuming the final Perugia stop is the Fontivagge station based on my notes on having done that twice before. I don't know where you're getting the Sant'Anna information from, but if that's the station that fits whatever schedule you're looking at, then that's where you need to go to get the train when you depart.

Okay, I just googled the train stations, and it looks like the Sant'Anna station is farther up the hill, closer to the center. If you can get a train to that station from Rome, then get off there and there must be a bus outside to take you the rest of the way up. I've just never taken a train that goes to this station. Further explanation here:

http://www.perugiaonline.com/trenipgus.html

Bottom line, you can get to the centro area easily from either station. As for the mini-metro, I never even heard of it until Jean posted the link above.

BTW, be sure to eat at the Cafe di Perugia on Via Mazzini, just off the Corso Vanucci, on the left. Lovely setting, with wonderful food, and reasonably priced.

GAC Feb 12th, 2011 08:22 AM

BEWARE BEWARE: The Perugia Sant'Anna train station is a red-herring: it's for the local Ferrovia Centrale Umbra Lines: www.fcu.it, and NOT NOT for Trenitalia (Ferrovie dello Stato) trains!!!

Between Rome/Perugia and Florence/Perugia, you'll be on Trenitalia, and you'll want to board and get off at Perugia Fontivegge, NOT NOT Perugia Ponte San Giovanni (which is a suburban station). When you look up the trains on Trenitalia, you'll note that all trains from Rome stop at Perugia Ponte San Giovanni BEFORE terminating at "Perugia" (which is the same as Perugia Fontivegge). Once you've arrived at Perugia Fontivegge, either take the mini-metro up the hill to Perugia Centro Storico, or one of the city buses whose destination is "Piazza Italia"

greg Feb 12th, 2011 09:01 AM

The info GAC mentions is very valuable. When I looked up Trenitalia site before my trip, the Perugia station came up as "Perugia." So when it was time to buy tickets at a vending machine, I was surprised to be asked whether I wanted "Fontevegge" or "San Giovanni." So, I ended up going to a ticket window to find out which one I wanted.

The mini metro is a tiny unmanned overhead/underground rail car that can carry perhaps dozen people. It looks like something you find in an amusement park. From Fontevegge, if you look north (opposite direction to Roma,) you see an overpass over the railroad track at the end of the railroad station. That is the mimi metro. You buy ticket at a vending machine. You take the train going up the hill. Once you reach Centro Storico (the last stop,) you are still not at the street level. You can walk, or take an "elevator" that goes up the side of the hill to the street level.

zola Feb 12th, 2011 09:26 AM

GAC and greg:

Thank you for the alerts and the very clear information. When I entered my "from" and "to" stations at the trenitalia.it website train schedule, I did not see more than one Perugia stop. Then, the info I found on a separate internet site regarding Sant'Anna station got me even more perplexed. So what you've provided is extremely helpful.
By the way, neither the Fodors 2010 Italy guidebook nor the 2011 Essential Italy has a reference to the Mini-metro when discussing how to get to Perugia. Perhaps their lack of reference to the private FC line as well is in the way of eliminating confusion, but I think it is another regrettable omission. Both of your posts could make for useful additions to that text. THANKS AGAIN!
Now - I'll continue to be get greedy and ask if either of you know of a moderate or budget accommodation in the historical center - say between 45-55 euros for a single- or would recommend something similar? Z