Reload this Page >

Train to Bayeux, then rent car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:39 PM
FHurdle

To all:<BR><BR> I'm leaving in three days for a six-day trip to Paris. My wife and I want to visit my uncle's grave at the American Cemetery at Colleville sur mer.<BR><BR> I've been told after an earlier post on this site that we should rent a car instead of trying to use public transportation. But I really don't want to drive in Paris or at night (I've done both, but didn't like it).<BR><BR> Does this make sense? Is there a place to rent a car at the Bayeux station. I figured we would rent from AutoEurope.<BR><BR> Also, in addition to the cemetery we wish to see the tapestry. Really this is all I have in mind, but other ideas are welcome.<BR><BR> Any comments are requested, and hurry as we are about to leave!<BR><BR>Frank

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:45 PM
FHurdle

Okay, I just visited the Autoeurope site and they don't list Bayeux as a rental site. Any suggestions for the next best thing????<BR><BR>Frank

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Dean

We rented a car at CDG and drove to Bayeux. The drive was easy since the airport is on the outskirts. But I am used to Dallas traffic. I didn't have to drive into Paris. I'm not that crazy. driving gave us the chance to stop at Giverny for Monet's house and gardens. <BR><BR>Don't miss the cathedral in Bayeux and save time just to stroll thru the town. With no damage from WWII it is truly a medieval town.<BR><BR>I don't know about the train but check a website callen americaninparis.com. It helped us out a lot and I remeber info on trains being listed.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:55 PM
ron

If you don't want to rent in Paris, I am sure there will be rental offices in Caen, which is about 30 km from Bayeux.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:15 PM
rand

I did a quick search and Hertz has an outlet called Bayeuex Shell Station. In my findings Autoeurope only lists the 'major' outlets. On our last trip, we booked from Hertz directly in Chartres since Autoeurope did not acknowledge their existance. Whether you like this company is your own choice. There is a poster here who is vehement against their own experience,