train tix Bruges to Paris

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train tix Bruges to Paris

We will be taking a train from Bruges to Paris. Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance online, or no problem to purchase the tickets when we are at the station? (this will be in late September) Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM

No, it's not necessary to purchase tickets in advance. But if you want to take advantage of the "Smoove" fare, which can be as low as €25, you need to buy in advance as its gets snapped quickly. However, note that this fare is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Depends on which of two routes you take - the Thalys route that JoyC talks about can be cheaper but only IF you book months in advance a non-changeable non-refundable ticket - that route is via Brussels - the other route goes via Lille on French TGVs and has a much more static fare structure so by just showing up you will not pay a hundred bucks or more as you may by just showing up for the Thalys route. With the Thalys route be sure to also book the ABS - All Belgian Stations fare that allows you to go on from Brussels to Bruges on any train within 24 hours (perhaps 48?) and back - there is one direct Paris to Bruges Thalys train a day but it leaves I believe at an obscenely early hour or a very late hour - usually you transfer in Brussels to an IC train to Bruges.

Both routes take exactly the same time - about 2.5 hours.

For lots of great info on European trains check out these IMO fantastic sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.set61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Book Thalys tickets at www.voyages-sncf.com or directly from Thalys - www.thalys.com.

Price both routes and see which is best and see if by just showing up if one is much cheaper than the other.,
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:16 AM

Thalys fare work like air fares, varying from €35 to around €90 depending how early you book.

This journey involves a regular train to Brussels, then Talys to Paris.

I'd book at www.b-europe.com and print your own tickets. It'll book both trains as one transaction.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. I went to the site Man in seat 61 recommended and now have the tickets printed out. Pretty slick. Thanks again!
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Slw

Me too! Thanks for the help Pal and Seat_61.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM

To price or book the Lille route, which often can be cheaper I believe all told on the average, especially for those who find the deep discounted Thalys fares are sold out - go to www.voyages-sncf.com and book or look for Paris-Nord to Lille-Flandres - in Lille just buy a ticket for the regional train to Bruges - flat fare - no seat reservations possible.

Paris-Lille TGVs also can have discounted tickets if you book well in advance and are dead-certain of your train - cheaper tickets usually cannot be changed nor refunded.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 08:48 AM

<I'd book at www.b-europe.com and print your own tickets.>

same for the Paris-Lille-Bruges routing - www.b-europe.com can book the Lille to Bruges trains (no seat reservations possible, just the normal train fare so you need not hassle buying a ticket once in Lille) - combine it with a deep discounted ticket from www.voyages-sncf.com - this could often be much cheaper than the Thalys route if you are not booking months in advance as cheapest Thalys tickets get snapped up early - not always but often.