Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train tickets trom London to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-tickets-trom-london-to-paris-645600/)

manray112 Sep 10th, 2006 03:22 PM

Train tickets trom London to Paris

is it less expensive to book train tickets from London To Paris in the US or will it be the same? Also, whats the best site to Purchase tickets in advance.

Thanks for any advice
Manray

Greginlh Sep 10th, 2006 07:47 PM

We purchased our EuroStar tickets from a company in the US for our June 06 vacation I cannot remember their exact name but it was only $89 RT on the eurostar I think the price has gone up - We traveled after 11 am and before 3 pm - It was the best price I found them on Fodors -check Eurostar on here
Good luck

LVSue Sep 10th, 2006 09:10 PM

This may seem crazy, but I would call the French number 011-33-892-35-35-39. It is Eurostar and they speak English; they will look for the best rates and book them on a credit card and mail them to your house.

It is an official train site, so there will be no added extras for this service. I had several recent dealings with them and received my tickets within a week, and they were the exact price I found on the French RR site.

They are open from 7am-10pm French time, so you need to figure that out depending on where you live.

If you want to pay for them on the net, go to sncf-voyages.com (which will only allow them to be sent to certain countries). Book them (with France as your pickup point) and then call the above number with your booking reference number and you can get them sent to your house.

Dukey Sep 11th, 2006 12:29 AM

Topping...

ira Sep 11th, 2006 04:30 AM

Hi M,

Go to www.eurostar.com.

Choose UK as your country (prices in GBP are usually lower than in USD, but check the exchange rate).

Also go to www.raileurope.com. Sometimes they are cheaper than Eurostar.

Usually, the one-day RT ticket is cheaper than one-way - about 59GBP.

((I))

walkinaround Sep 11th, 2006 05:32 AM

there is no strict rule for this. for leisure trips, many of us will buy eurostar tickets in combination with a hotel from resellers (or whatever lastminute or expedia type companies are called). this is often much cheaper than buying each separately.

so my point is that you have US resellers, UK resellers, and buying directly from eurostar's US, french, or UK websites and the complication of extras like hotels being included. in short, there are no rules, millions of different offers, etc. you just need to shop around to find the right deal for you. think of it like you are buying a ticket for air travel.

PalQ Sep 11th, 2006 06:19 AM

There aren't many resellers in U.S. as Raileurope seems to have the market near totally locked up and sets prices that never vary, in my experience, from their agents to them - only difference is S&H which can be tacked on. You should always check both the sncf site referenced above and RailEurope - and as always with RailEurope i highly recommend BETS (800-441-2387) for their Eurostar expertise in my experience and they won't charge RE's $15 mailing fee if the order is under $200 - and you won't have to pay $25 RailEurope apparently charges to speak to anyone whilst ordering.
Eurostar prices just prior to the train may be hundreds of dollars more expensive literally so to get cheap tickets you must order well in advance. Special fares for seniors (about $90 one way) and youths exist - seniors 60 and over and railpass holders (about $77 one way) - if doing any train travel in London great region the London Plus Flexipass can be worth the price, even if you don't use the pass at all at times because the passholder rate, available in theory on any date and any train, can save you more than the price the pass costs!