Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Tickets to Florence (From Rome) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-tickets-to-florence-from-rome-120936/)

Susan Apr 28th, 2001 07:33 PM

Train Tickets to Florence (From Rome)

Do I need to buy them ahead of time? Can I buy them at the station the day of travel (in May)? or do I need a reservation? <BR>Thanks, Susan

Teresa Apr 29th, 2001 03:34 AM

Susan depends what month you will be travelling. But if you want to take a train at the specific time and first class and non-smoking I suggest you go to any travel agency when in Rome and get your ticket. You will fine a plenty of information on this forum if you do the text search. This is where we found all helpful suggestions for our trip to Rome and Florence in March.

Teresa Apr 29th, 2001 03:35 AM

Yes, if you are going in May buy them in advance

zz-top Apr 29th, 2001 05:22 AM

Susan: <BR> <BR>It is possible to buy at station on the day of travel, but the season starts to get busier in May. And the Rome to Florence is a popular run, so I'd suggest you purchase your tickets a few days ahead. <BR> <BR>

Jane Apr 29th, 2001 07:28 AM

I've been to Italy 3 times in May and June and have yet to buy a ticket before I went to the Station. If it'll relieve some anxiety, then by all means book ahead. But it's really not necessary. There are so many trains going to Florence. If you do buy at the station be ready to go, and I mean ready. There could be a train leaving in two minutes, rather than 30 minutes. Honestly, that's the only issue I've had with train travel to Florence. it's remarkably easy.

Mary Apr 29th, 2001 05:31 PM

Hi Susan, <BR> <BR>Just returned from a trip to italy in which we ended up going round trip Rome-Florence twice. We bought our tickets a day or so in advance from a travel agency. Travel agencies are numerous in Rome - just look for the FS symbol when you're walking sightseeing and pop in to buy your tickets. <BR> <BR>Mary

pam Apr 30th, 2001 10:34 AM

You may also purchase train tickets at American Express. You may want to know in advance or ask the ticket issuer to provide you with a list of departure times so you don't end up sitting at the station longer than necessary.

Lee Apr 30th, 2001 10:40 AM

We purchased tickets day of trip in Florence for Rome and vice versa...the ticket machines are very useful for this as you do not need to line up...that was in April.

sc Apr 30th, 2001 10:43 AM

I am flying in to Rome and plan on going straight to Florence for 4 days. I am leaving the last week of May. After reading this post, I am worried that we won't be able to make it to Florence without buying tickets ahead of time. If I were to buy tickets when we get to Rome, do we walk around looking for a travel agency to buy the tickets at? I thought I also read from a previous post that I can buy the tickets from Rome to Florence at the Rome airport? Is this true? How would I buy the tickets ahead of time from the U.S.? And would I also buy the return trip from Florence to Rome termini at the same time? I have been having no luck doing searches on this forum. Thanks for all your help!

orlando Apr 30th, 2001 03:09 PM

I recently reserved my Venice to Florence tickets on the Italian railway system's website at http://www.fs-on-line.com/home/en/index.html <BR> <BR>There is no extra charge for this and I did it from here in the US. <BR> <BR>Click on "Online Ticket Office", then register (Click on "Register"). They'll email you a log-on ID and password within approx. 24 hours. Once you have that, just log on and reserve (and pay for) your tickets, much like you would at an airline website. Select the option where you pick up the tickets from the automatic ticket vending machine in the station. Make sure you print out or write down the confirmation code, which you will need to enter when you get your tickets out of the machine. <BR> <BR>While waiting for your access code, review the schedules and practice using the Trenitalia website. <BR> <BR>See you in Firenze!

sc May 1st, 2001 08:48 AM

Thanks for the website. I will definitely look into it. Also, if I reserve our train tickets now and the flight is delayed getting in (knock on wood!), and I miss the train, would I be able to catch another train if I already have reservations on one that I missed? Would I have to purchase another train ticket to Florence or would I be able to use my reserved ticket on another train?

J T Kirk May 1st, 2001 09:07 AM

we were in Rome last June and made the train trip to Florence. we bought our tickets the afternoon before at one of the many travel shops in Rome. there wasn't a problem. and we took the train on Saturday, which I would have thought would have been a busy day.

Gerry May 1st, 2001 10:25 AM

Susan: <BR> <BR>There are 22 non-stop Eurostar trains per day from Rome to Florence. They run from 6:30 AM to 9 something PM. Trip takes 1hr 40min.(180 miles). There are inter-city trains as well. They cost less and take longer. You'll get a train. Don't worry. I wish we had this kind of transportation at home. <BR>You can book on fs. online from home but they Do charge more. Fs.online quoted $30 per person each way(Second class--which by the way is like first class at home). We purchased our tickets from Rome travel agent(around the corner from our hotel) 3hrs before train time for $26 per person each way (saving $16 round trip for the 2 of us). Travel agents do not charge a commission. They are hooked up via computer to the train system and issue you your tickets on the spot. In my opinion this is the best way to do it. You can be more flexible with your travel plans than booking all ahead. The trains often fill up at the last minute due to people buying tickets at the station. Our train was full when we left and we sat with some disgruntled people who were unhappy that they didn't get a window seat. They give you seats accross from each other, not next to each other like we're used to. By booking just a short time ahead we got the window seats, avoided train station hastle and didn't risk last minute train fill-up. <BR> <BR>Hope you have as much fun as we did on your trip. <BR> <BR>Gerry