Day trips from Sulmona in July

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Sulmona in July

Hello Fodor Friends,

My family (me, dh and 6 year old twins) will be visiting Sulmona for 3 weeks this summer and are interested in day trips from the Sulmona area. We will be spending one week in a farmhouse just outside Modena so we'd be more interested in going west or south for some interesting sites for young children (and their food and wine loving parents!). Pescara and the beach is already on our list...

There isn't a lot of information available on the region (or Molise to the South) so I'm hoping you seasoned travelers can help me out. I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks in advance...
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phew! It took me 3 attempts to register here just so I could answer your query...Firstly Pescara is often heaving with people on the beach so I suggest you go a little further N or S if you can - Pineto to the N and Vasto to the S would be my recommendations. Francavilla is also a little more low-key with lovely family beaches. Don't forget the lake at Scanno too - the water is a little colder but it's lovely nevertheless. Scanno also has some dinky family bike things which you can hire to go around the lake and a nice playground too. There is a little Donkey place in Introdacqua called Asino Mania which is worth a visit and an indoor play centre on the outskirts of Sulmona called Partylandia which curiously is open until about 10.00pm. Good for a cloudy day. The Parco Fluviale in Sulmona should have re-opened by the summer so that will be a good place for the kiddies. There is also a good open air pool at the Incoronata which has a grassy area too where you can relax a bit. As for day trips, I recommend Pescocostanzo, Pescasseroli, Compo di Giove, the Cantina di Pietrantonij in Vittorito, the Zoo at Lanciano, the water park at San Salvo etc. There are actually lots of lovely places to go for a quick day trip. Don't forget that Rome is also totally do-able from Sulmona as are Villa D'Este and Villa Adriana at Tivoli. You won't be short of things to do. There is a house rule here not to include links to other places so I'll just say that there is a very good FB page about Sulmona which is easily found and packed full of good info.