Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards
Notices

Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards

Jul 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards

Hello,

My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.

Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?

Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Jul 28th, 2010, 03:59 AM

>Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany?

The answer is "maybe", as some new machines will probably not take older cards. I have both an older, non-chip card as well as newer one with chip and PIN - and the older have been accepted by ticket machines until now.

In the worst case you will have to go to the counter to buy the tickets there, or feed cash into the machine.
Jul 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks altamiro.

I think I can purchase the Wochenkarte for Vienna over the internet, but the Germany tickets do not have an option to purchase them on the bahn.de website. (ICE tickets can be purchased online, but S-bahn/Regionalbahn cannot.)

Just curious; is the card with chip and PIN issued by a U.S. credit card company or bank?
Jul 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM

I did not have a chip and pin CC until very recently. And so far, the Deutsche Bahn kiosks never had a problem with the CCs with magnetic stripe.

Automated kiosks of regional transit authorities do not necessarily accept CCs. You might only use debit cards or cash.

Search this Thread