Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train tickets France/Italy - ok to buy on arrival?

Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
I require a train ticket from Nice to La Spezia and a few days later one from La Spezia to Milan, in April this year. It seems that I cannot buy these online with Trenitalia (I know it's more than 60 days out but altering dates they are still not avail). For both journeys I have a particular time in mind that I need to leave - can anyone advise if it will be ok to buy them when I arrive in Nice, about 1 week prior to first ticket?
I am a little uneasy about it as I will be travelling solo for the first time, and have a tight schedule.

Thanks.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM

Actually you can buy and price online but you must select international first. It's above where you enter the city. You may still need to wait your 60 days. After you select international on www.trenitalia.com, select your cities and then the website gives you choices for different Nice stations and different La Spezia stations. Select the ones you want and scroll down and select enter again.

For La Spezia/Milan do no select international but the website will still want you to select the station in Milan or La Spezia that you want.

It's fine to buy them after you arrive, but if you are traveling during Easter you might want to buy in advance.
Jan 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM
ira

Hi C,

I just simulated purchasing a ticket on the 14:40 IC+ from La Spezia

For Nice to La Spezia, go to "International".

You will get a schedule that requires connecting in Genova.

Under "International" buy your ticket from Nice to Genova.

Under "National" buy a ticket from Genova to La Spezia.

Jan 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ky and Ira - excellent advice! I was starting to think I was completely mad since I couldn't get it to work.
Will just wait until under 60 days now and then purchase.

Ira I was hoping you would reply as I often see posts from you about Trenitalia - thanks

I have an international student card - does anyone know if this will entitle me to a discount? If so, which fare should I select when purchasing? If no discount do I just select "Intera"?

Also is the La Spezia Centrale station where I can get trains into Cinque terre?

Thanks again.
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to share my experience while on this trip... In typical fashion there was a train strike throughout Italy on the day of my booked ticket from Nice to La Spezia, resulting in me spending 5 hours at Ventimiglia (sp?) just inside the Italian border. Hence I arrived in Cinque Terre about 5 hours late and my accom was not held for me.
This was about 6 weeks into my 8 week trip but was the first leg I was travelling solo! Lucky for me I met 2 other aussies on the train and we shared a triple room at a hotel we found by chance - it was just as cheap as getting a single room and the hotel was nice. We parted the next day. But what an adventure and a lesson for me about the best made plans. I certainly learnt a LOT on my trip!!
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:46 AM
ira

Thanks for the update, Chelsea.

Good attitude.

Feb 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM

"Also is the La Spezia Centrale station where I can get trains into Cinque terre?"

If you want to go from Nice to the Cinque Terre, enter your desination station in www.trenitalia.com, www.bahn.de or whichever web site you're using to find schedules: put Nice to Monterosso, or wherever, and the web site will tell you where you need to change trains. The stations in the Cinque Terre are normal Trenitalia stations on the main line from Genova to Pisa. Coming from France, it's unlikely you'll be changing trains at La Spezia because it's in the other direction.
Feb 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Chelsea, I chuckled when I read your Venitmiglia reference. We, too, spent a half day at Ventimiglia many years ago, due to some train problem I can't even remember. We were travelling with our then-8-year-old son, and all I remember is his fascination with the video games in one of the little cafes in town...so for him, at least, it wasn't a bummer!

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. That's what's so good about travel: things usually work out one way or another, and we learn so much when our plans go awry.