Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-tickets-684861/)

Beachwife Mar 4th, 2007 01:28 PM

Train Tickets

Six of us are traveling from Naples to Rome and back in late March and have been trying to purchase 2 for 1 (Due per Uno) tickets on the Trenitalia site. We can book the tickets, but when we go to pay for them, it denies our credit cards, even though everything is correct. We have tried different cards, and even called our banks, but nothing works. I have tried calling the number on the site, but can't get through. I have even sent a fax (I think) but didn't get a response. This is the best rate, and we want to book the tickets, so any help anyone can give would be most appreciated. This is our first trip to Italy, and we are frustrated with the train website already!

stuart2611 Mar 4th, 2007 01:36 PM

There have been many discussions on this site about reserving train tickets in Italy. Usually it tells the poster that they did it wrong. For example, you can't buy train tickets more than 60 days in advance. Or, that our credit card companies may be denying us European travel unless we inform them. But you and I are in the same boat. A week ago, I sucessfully reserved train tickets from Venice to Rome. Now, when I want to reserve the next leg of my trip from Rome to Salerno, the site says the credit card is denied. Like you, I called the credit card company and was told they did not deny the request. So, I can say that I know how to reserve tickets but it does not work now. Hope you get a fair response to your FAX.
By the way, several posters question the need to buy advance train tickets. In my case, I am trying to reserve a train that will not be affected in case of strike activity. So, it makes sense to me to have those reservations in advance.Too bad the site is so frustrating.

TravMimi Mar 4th, 2007 01:44 PM

This is interesting. First I've heard of it being something other than one's own bank or card rules. I'll keep watching these posts

stuart2611 Mar 11th, 2007 06:26 AM

Finally! Today I was able to purchase tickets for my trip from Rome to Salerno. I had tried unsucessfully for almost two weeks. Every time, the site said the credit card was denied, even though my credit card company said there had been no such thing. But, today's a new day. I have my ticket.

Madison Mar 11th, 2007 06:40 AM

Beachwife - I had the same problem. I called my credit card company asking why they denied my card. They hadn't. In fact while they were on the line I tried again to book train tickets through Trenitalia again and they said it didn't even come through to the credit card company. As my trip comes closer I may try again, if it doesn't work then I will wait until I arrive in Italy. Good Luck!!

Beachwife Mar 12th, 2007 06:20 PM

Thanks, everyone for your answers. I finally bought our tickets on the Trenitalia site by using a virtual account number generated by my Citibank Mastercard. This worked well every time and I purchased 3 different sets of tickets doing this. If you are as frustrated as I was and your card offers this security measure for online shopping, try it. It may work for you!

JaneA Mar 12th, 2007 06:39 PM

Seven of us are traveling by train from Florence to Venice, then the next week two of us are traveling from Venice to Rome. This will be in late July. Do we need to purchase tickets now, later but before we leave US, or can we wait until we are in Italy?
Thanks for all the information I have been getting from this site, you are all very helpful.

kybourbon Mar 12th, 2007 06:48 PM

You can't purchase tickets for July yet - has to be within 60 days of travel. You can price the tickets and get schedules by entering a date within the next 60 days. The prices will be the same for July. There shouldn't be any problem waiting until you are in Italy.

i_am_kane Mar 12th, 2007 07:00 PM

Recently,I too was being denied booking on the Trenitalia web site when I manually typed in my credit card number.

It wasn't until I used my Citibank Virtual Account where the bank actually inserts the credit card information that I was successful.

I had the same problem last year when I tried to book tickets and the Citibank Virtual Account saved the day for that trip.

CharlotteR Mar 12th, 2007 07:33 PM

Beachwife,
Where on the Trenitalia site did you find the 2 for 1 (Due per Uno) offer? I have looked at the site but cannot find where it is listed.

kybourbon Mar 12th, 2007 08:46 PM

The 2for1 is only for the AV trains between Rome and Naples. It will be listed under select fare. It's possible the special is sold out for the train you want.