Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train ticket from Munich to Prague & Prague to Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-ticket-from-munich-to-prague-and-prague-to-vienna-889271/)

esm May 4th, 2011 06:03 AM

Train ticket from Munich to Prague & Prague to Vienna

My husband and I plan to take the train (one way) from Munich to Prague and after a few days, from Prague to Vienna.

Based on a few threads posted here, it looks like the we need to buy a Bayern ticket, travel to the border, and buy single tickets to Prague. I could not find out how to purchase the Bayern ticket on-line. Is there a way to buy and print this ticket at home?

I have not started to look at the Prague to Vienna one way tickets so I'd love to get some info on this part as well.

In case if makes a difference, our travel dates are May 22 and May 26 respectively.

Man_in_seat_61 May 4th, 2011 08:56 AM

www.bahn.de sells tickets from 39 euros. However, this involves a railway-run bus from Nuremberg, yuk! You can put 'Dresden' in the 'via' box and it'll route you via Dresden by train all the way from 39 euros, though this takes a few hours longer, or you can go by train with changes, but more like 60 euros.

www.cd.cz/eshop sells Prague-Vienna tickets from just 19 euros and you print your own ticket.

esm May 4th, 2011 09:03 AM

Thanks Man. I looked at the Czech website and it seems straightforward for the second trip. Still don't know about the first one and I'd hate the bus-train combo.

I would like to find out the price if bought a couple of days in advance while we're in Munich.

november_moon May 4th, 2011 10:18 AM

We are travelling Munich to Prague by train as well. Our plan is to purchase advance tickets from dbahn.de so that we can get the better price. I think this is more expensive than the Lander ticket/single ticket combo, but when I was researching it before, I think there were restrictions on the Lander ticket or something like that which made me choose the direct, prepurchase ticket instead.

There is a direct train route from Munich to Prague so you don't have to do the train/bus combo. It takes longer than the train/bus combo with the connection in Nuremburg, but not significantly longer - I think maybe 45 min longer. We are planning to take that bus later in the trip when we travel from Prague to Nuremburg. I was initially concerned about using the bus, but I have heard that it is quite nice.

esm May 4th, 2011 10:41 AM

Thanks november. I don't see a discounted fare for the direct train offered on dbahn.de so it makes sense to do the train/bus combo. Do you remember where you read about the bus being nice?

ira May 5th, 2011 06:05 AM

t

PalenQ May 5th, 2011 07:01 AM

It is foolish IMO to use a Bayern ticket from Munich to the border as you can only take regional trains and I believe you do not actually reach the border but there is a small gap - anyway would take much much longer - the regular route via Nurnberg and bus is the way to do like Man in Seat 61 above says.

for lots about train travel in this area check out these great sites (in addition to Man in Seat 61's commercial site www.seat61.com - also www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Try to score discounted tickets online at www.bahn.de but if not do not worry about availability once you show up at regular price - always available IME.

esm May 5th, 2011 07:11 AM

Thanks; not much choice so we'll go with the train/bus option.

PalenQ May 5th, 2011 12:14 PM

There is also an overnight train between Munich and Prague that goes direct I believe. Save a night hotel cost to boot.

Cowboy1968 May 5th, 2011 01:22 PM

And there is a direct coach from Munich central bus station to Prague.
dep Munich 8am, arr Prague 1.15pm
€33 pP one-way

Unfortuntely, the information is only available in German and Czech on the website:
http://www.autobusoberbayern.de/cms/...n_pilsen_prag/

esm May 5th, 2011 03:30 PM

Oh bummer, I bought the train/bus combo just before you posted Cowboy. Thanks for the info, it will be useful for others travelers.

esm May 5th, 2011 03:35 PM

Thanks Palen, I missed your post. I figured we'd get no sleep on the train so did not go with that option.

PalenQ May 6th, 2011 07:25 AM

Well yes if you cannot sleep with some noise then it would be a terrible thing arriving in Prague train-lagged!

esm Jun 2nd, 2011 01:22 PM

Just got back from our trip which was wonderful. We did the train+bus combo which was fine. Transfer time is around 15 min which doesn't give enough time (when the station is busy) to buy food or ask for directions.

For the Prague to Vienna trip, I managed to buy one ticket at the internet special price and had to buy another (at double the price) at the station. We shared the compartment for part of our journey with a psychologist and enjoyed talking with her about growing up in Czechoslovakia, and her life after the velvet revolution.

mekong Jun 6th, 2011 09:54 AM

nice! we plan on the exact same trip in a few weeks, can i contact you via email or msn messenger or facebook for more advice and questions?

[email protected]

esm Jun 6th, 2011 02:02 PM

mekong, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have here on the forums. I saw from your other post that you have 2 weeks and still planning your itinerary. We spent 5 days in Vienna and didn't get bored; 4 days in Prague was good. We had to start the trip in Munich and end it in Vienna so some time was wasted in transit but that's the way it worked. The Bahn website as well as the Czech are both good for train reservations.

mekong Jun 6th, 2011 05:59 PM

How was munich and how long there is sufficient? was the train travel easy or difficult?

esm Jun 6th, 2011 06:15 PM

I enjoyed Munich; stayed 3 days which was enough. It is not a destination I'd choose but this part of the trip was business so I tagged along.

Train travel was easy but since you're heading to Vienna after Munich you can train all the way. We had to change and I'd prefer taking the bus all the say.

mekong Jun 6th, 2011 08:17 PM

Almost thinking of skipping Budapest as we've seen it and spend the time going to Berlin...

It might go like this:

Munich - Berlin - Prague - Vienna - Munich

Make sense or...? Other way around?

PalenQ Jun 7th, 2011 07:03 PM

sounds great either way!