Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Train Ticket from Lyon to Geneva June 22 2014
Notices

Train Ticket from Lyon to Geneva June 22 2014

May 27th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Train Ticket from Lyon to Geneva June 22 2014

I am trying to purchase a one way rail ticket from Lyon to Geneva. I am using the SNCF site, for June 22, and only seeing trains that leave at 15, 17, 19. I had heard in travel books that these trains leave from Lyon to Geneva about every hour, so wondering why just these three times. I also heard on a forum that there was a large mix-up in ordering new trains that didn't fit certain platforms correctly-would this have an impact on how many times are available, or are they just sold out ?, or even possibly have I limited my search incorrectly ? Is this the best site to purchase these tickets, or is there another possibility ? I am thinking about taking a bus actually-any thoughts on this ? I would like to try to leave earlier than 15. Thank you very much for your help as always..
May 27th, 2014, 03:49 PM

where are you searching - if only voyages-sncf.com try also www.capitainetrain.com - same trains same fares, easier to use say most - see if their info comports to SNCF site's.

direct trains leave about every two hours at :34 after the hour from Lyon - you can go other times but then a change of trains is required. I get my schedules from www.bahn.de/en - the German Railways web schedule that I find pretty reliable in the past - check it out to see if they comport with SNCF online times.
May 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM

I'm seeing trains pretty much all day long at regular intervals, including 8:38, 10:38, 10:40, 12:30, and 14:00.

Where are you looking?

The new trains that don't fit the platforms have absolutely nothing to do with this. That is relevant to tiny, remote stations, and Lyon and Genève don't fit that description.
May 28th, 2014, 01:14 AM

> I had heard in travel books that these trains leave from Lyon to Geneva about every hour ...

You got a wrong information. The Average 1 train every 2 hours seems right. And be careful, due to a construction work that could continue until the aned of August between Bellegarde, France and Geneva, many normally direct trains TER Lyon - Geneva are replaced by, e.g., Lyon - Bellegarde by train and shuttle bus between Bellegarde - Geneva. Most TGV trains seem to remain direct without change. Beter to check the timetable carefully. Besides above mentioned sites, you can check http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/fn
This is a Swiss railway site that I usually find easier to use ( than SNCF ).

Search this Thread